Filters at wedding

dan_weiss2

I don't use filters much with digital. PSCS has a complete filter pack to use after the fact.

One filter I do use with digital capture is a polarizer. It can help cut hot spots which digital

doesn't handle well. Plus, it does all the same things to the sky as with film.

When shooting film, I use a warming filter, sometimes a 4X6 graduated ND or color filter,

and with a Hasselblad a variety of Lee filters including my favorite... a "Flesh Net".<div>008iCd-18598584.thumb.jpg.d3fb3cb00d1e5b2249a3868f2322cfb9.jpg</div>

I use medium format and 35mm film. For the medium format, I carry a Softar, a homemade center spot "misty" filter, a star filter and an ND filter. Sometimes I have a graduated ND filter. These are for the medium format and used mostly on "traditional" photos. I don't use any filters for the 35mm except for an ND filter. PJ style shooting generally negates "mood altering" filters, and if using negative film, color compensating filters get "lost" in the printing. Because of the wide range of effects you can produce with digital (or scanned film) in post processing, filters "in-camera" aren't really necessary except for maybe the polarizing or ND filters mentioned above. Each of the effects possible with the filters I mentioned (not the ND) can be created in Photoshop, although it can be argued that the Softar's effect can't be reproduced in Photoshop. It is just more convenient to do it in-camera if you don't do a lot of post processing.

The Tiffen line of filters (used to make) a Soft Net 1 (black or white) that does pretty fair with grandmothers at a wedding. I keep one 85mm f1.8 Nikkor lens with the filter on it, and another 85mm f1.8 Nikkor lens for general shooting during the wedding. Time is something you generally do not have when you start to 'change' a filter.....

The 81A & 81B filters are useful for cutting down on the blue cast from overcast skies. I really like them as they make the picture look very natural compared to using fill flash. The cross screen filter is nice to use occasionally with church sanctuary shots.

Brandon - First you have to make sure the width is 500 pixels or less... Second you have to type in a "title" under the image that you are prompted to do with the box under the uploaded image. If you don't give it a comment or title -- it will appear as an attachment.