Filtering Flash (Canon Speedlites)

johnlund

How does one go about mounting a filter on a Speedlite flash head?

Sure, tape works (and it's cheap), but is there a readymade solution

that's more elegant and robust? (It's a shame that the heads aren't

built for 77mm threads to mount a filter or slotted holder.)

You can use the adapter for a vivitar283, it just needs a little filing and then go on a 430EZ.

You can also cut the filter material a little wider on both sides and stick some selfsticking velcro on the sides of the flash and on the ends of the filter material.

Where do you buy the filter material for the flash ?

Thanks, Poul. I don't have that particular model, but I'll look into it.

For now I'm trying the same filters I'd put in front of my lens. The fit isn't great, but it works. I was hoping to find a solid mount for a slotted holder system, like the Cokin "P" or Canon gelatin holder. (This wouldn't work for wide-angle shots, but it'd be convenient for moderate focal lengths.)

Tom's suggestion is potentially better than tape, but I'm surprised that I haven't found a more tailored mount. Is filtering flash such a rarity?

• 1 month later...
Vivitar makes gels/plastic filters that fit specifically over their brand flashes, so it's not unusual. I have successfully used one specific to a Vivitar 2600 on my canon 420EX held in place with a rubberband (the flat ones used to bunch brocolli are better than the thin ones used to hold newspaper in a roll). A specific helpful use of colored flash is with outdoor pictures using a circular polarizer with subject in shade where the flash illuminates a minor part of the picture. Deep blues of the picture is offset by some warmth to the skintones by the light yellow gelled flash. I tried gelled flash as the main source of light and the results were distasteful. Treat it like garlic. A little goes a long way.