Filter Wallet That Does Not Smudge Filters?

william_marderness1

I am looking for a way to carry my series 9 filters that will not

smudge them. I have tried wallets made by F64, Tamrac, MC Photograpic,

and most recently, Domke. The Domke seemed to be doing okay, till I

opened the wallet after a long, hot trip, and found a stubborn film on

the filters that required liquid cleaner. I usually use a dry

micro-fiber cloth and no cleaner, but this film did not want to come

off. Since my filters are threadless, I can't use stack caps. Any

suggestions?

I stopped using filter wallets, and went back to original boxes, after some 82mm B+W filters were damaged. I too had a stubborn film on the filters and cleaned them off several times - or so I thought. When I looked at the cleaned filters at the right angle I could see the woven pattern of the cloth used for the wallet. Although hard to see, it ment that the coating of the filters were damaged.

George

I've not used these wallets so I can't say for sure. But if your purpose is to have the filters in order to have easy access, why not keep them in the original boxes and slide those boxes in a somewhat bigger wallet? It might take a bit longer to remove one, but they would be safe.

Ed

I have struggled with the same problem. I have tried everything I could think of and

have returned to the hard plastic cases my B & W filters came in. They take up more

space, but I have the confidence of knowing my filters will be as clean when I take

them out of the plastic cases as they were when I placed them inside of them. Know

anyone who is looking for a "collection" of soft filter cases? I have plenty of them!

Milton.

I screw them together loosely, and put a metal screw-on cap, obtained from SRB (www.srbfilm.co.uk), on each end. So they are stored as a filter "block". I found that plastic sleeves/boxes caused a film to appear on the glass that had to be wiped off. No problem since storing them as a block.

It sounds like your filter wallet has PVC pockets and the plasticisers are landing on your

filters.

This can permanently damage filters, especially ones like the Softar or other acrylic filters

as the film formed this way can not be removed without damaging the filters.

This is one reason why filter manufacturers chose the materials they use for their filter

boxes.

I been using a Tamrac wallet for my Linhof 70mm drop-in filters and haven't had any problems in the few months since I bought it. The backing is a velour-type material and the pockets are clear plastic backed by a kind of fine mesh netting, so that the plastic doesn't contact the surface of the filter. It's been out in high heat and humidity on a few occasions with no negative consequences.