filter threads on Nikon AFS 300mm f2.8

lloyd_chambers

I'm considering a Nikon AFS 300mm f2.8. Does it have filter threads

on the front, and if so, what size? I just want to protect the front

lens element, and can eat the couple hundred dollars for a large

filter, given the considerable cost of the lens.

I always put filters over the front of my lenses (usually a B&W UV

010), because I'm really good at getting crud on the front lens

element. This has saved me very troublesome cleaning jobs a few

times--and in the field it can be very difficult to clean a lens

properly. Contaminants like mist or sea-spray when dry tend to leave

annoying spots which are a tedious to remove, and it seems that the

glass is never quite pristine again.

Lloyd,

Regarding the filter threads on the Nikon AF-S 300mm f/2.8D, I have good news and bad news. First, the diameter of the lens is around 120mm and has no threads on the front. That was the bad news. The good news is that Nikon is one step ahead of you and has incorporated a plain flat glass element as a protector which means you don't have to put anything on the front for protection.

The filters for the AF-S 300mm f/2.8D are located in a drawer behind the focus ring. The lens uses a 52mm filter in the drawer, and should always have a filter in place as I believe it is part of the optical formula (though I may be mistaken).

Good luck and have fun with your AF-S 300mm. At least Nikon has your front element covered to begin with.

I believe the lens comes with a 52mm plain glass element and holder to be used when a filter is not being used. On the AF-D version of this lens, I once shot for a week without this element or a filter in place without any noticeable deterioration in image quality. However, why take a chance? Carry a blower bulb with soft brush for cleaning any dust off the front element. One of those new miracle fiber lens cleaning cloths will work fine to remove finger prints or mist. Good luck.

What the heck does a switch have to do with a front lens element? Answer: Nothing.

The front protective filter usually costs about $100 for Nikon's supertelephoto's. Add $20 bucks for labor and $20 for shipping and the price should be around $140. At least that's what I would charge. I do Nikon lens repair work. See my web site at http://rolland.homestead.com/ if interested.

I like photo net, but it really bugs me when people with absolutely no repair knowledge spout off ridiculous estimates. Replacing a front filter is a snap compared to disassembling a lens to replace a M/A switch.

Peace, Rolland

<Let's see, I just got a lens back from them which had a minor problem, the button which would hold the A/M ring in place would not catch. Cost was about $250. My guess is that it would be at least the same, plus shipping.>