Filter system for 10-22mm wideangle

denisv

Hello,

I wonder if anybody has experience and can advise on what filter

system can be used with 10-22mm lens (i.e. without blocking the

view / vignetting). I would like to use ND grads for landscapes and

find it difficult to chose a filter sustem.

In UK we have Cokin (holders P, Xpro, Zpro), Lee and HiTech (normal

holders and wide-angle) systems. So which one will work on 10-22mm

lens without unacceptable vignetting?

Manufacturers sites are silent on this. Best info that can be found

is something like "can be used with angles wider than 20mm" - go

guess if it is OK on 16 mm (equivalent of 10mm on Canon 20D) or only

on 19.5mm...

Can anyone help?

Denis

the "go guess" would be a good advice.

cokin says the z-pro was tested at 20mm on 135.

but did you see that the z-pro filter holder is reversible ? so the filter goes in the mounting ring slot and the mounting ring in the first filter slot.

i think your main problem here is the filter touching the front element, not vignetting.

if you "go guess" at your camera shop, always use the lenses SMALLEST apperture for test exposures. and use a evenly lit surface and underexpose it a little, so it is not blown out. (would be difficult to see vignetting then) and check the images in ps.

D.

David,

The reversible holder just gives you the benefit of a single slot wide angle holder without having to carry a separate one. There is a still the width of the holder between the filter and the front element.

I can say categorically that the 85mm or 83mm wide filters are not wide enough even in the thinnest wide angle holder. The EF-S 10-22 lens is very prone to vignetting (it vignettes with a regular polarizer which my 17-40/4L on full frame did not). With a wide angle holder and a single 100mm or 105mm filter in a single slot wide angle holder you are likely to be safe from physical vignetting (the adaptor ring is about the same thickness as a regular filter which does not vignette). You will likely get some vignetting (light fall off) just from the fact the oblique rays travel further through the filter and hence are attenuated more.