Filter + Sunshade on 24mm

bonsignore_ezio

<p> I'm encountering an annoying problem related to the use of a Nikon 24mm f2.8 lens on a F2S body. If I put a sunshade on top of a UV filter, I will get a slight but noticeable vignetting. I can use either a filter or the sunshade without vignetting, but not the two together.<br>

I dawned to me that my problem could perhaps be due to the fact that I'm using a generic wide-angle sunshade. Original Nikon sunshades for the 24mm lens can be found, but they tend to be pricey. Before I buy one, can anyone confirm that one of these would actually enable the simultanous use of a filter? Thanks</p>

<p>The Nikon specified hood for the 24/2.8 is the HN-1. It can be mounted on top of a filter provided the filter mount is not excessively thick. The hood is sized so that a Nikon filter, whose mounts are fairly slim at about 3.5mm (sans threads) can be used with the hood with no vignetting. Having said that, the HN-1 is very shallow, and I'm not sure just how effective it really is. IIRC correctly, I think I could get away with using the HN-2 (for the 28mm) with a *Nikon* filter and still got no vignetting (F4, 100% viewfinder).</p>

<p>Perhaps prices have escalated, but when I filled out my collection of Nikon hoods a few years ago, used Nikon screw-in hoods for the short primes were very common and quite inexpensive on eBay.</p>

<p>Michael is correct, the HN-1 is the right filter for the 24mm. I have the 28mm and use a filter on it with the HN-2 shade and don't have any vignetting.</p>

<p>And I strongly disagree that a filter "doesn't do anything." A filter protects the front element from damage. It serves an important purpose if you care about your gear. I have purchased lenses with pristine front elements though the lenses are 30-40 years old. They probably had filters on them for most of their lives. I have also purchased lenses with damaged front elements, chips out of the glass, etc. <br>

<br />The point is to use a thin filter on lenses like the 24mm 2.8. The 28mm 3.5 also has this problem, but I haven't seen it on the 28mm 2.8. And make sure you use a multi-coated filter from a good maker like B+W or Nikon or Hoya. </p>

<p>I would not use that filter. The shade will provide some protection from scratches as well as shade. Filters can cause problems with light sources in the frame. I only use CP or GND filters and some times my hat for shading the lens from the sun.</p>

<p>The HN-1, or aftermarked version, can be purchased on eBay for as low as US $10.50. including shipping. Do a search for HN-1 on eBay.</p>

<p>Because I live in a harsh environment with salt spray, blowing sand, and abrasive volcanic dust, I always use a quality filter on every one of my lenses, especally outdoors. I clean my dirty filters by rinsing them in warm soapy water and drying with a microfiber cloth. Cleaning them in the traditional way would ruin them. Wiping an unprotected lens contaminated with volcanic dust would ruin it, too.</p>

<p>Saying one should not use a protective filter under any circumstances is irresponsible advice, in my opinion.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Salt spray would be one of the very few times I would consider using a cover filter. Another would be shooting in waterfall spray (which has fine grit in it.) Otherwise, I think they put the lens in more physical danger than not having one. The filters are really too thin to offer any protection and I have had one shatter and the broken shards scratched up a lens. I now use the lens cap and have never had any damage at all. The cap is very tough and is excellent protection.<br>

Kent in SD</p>