filter size for voigtlander dynaron

Hate to do this, but no where else to turn. I have a Voigtlander prominent. Just purchased a 100mm dynaron for it. Can't work out the filter size. Sites I've looked at say its 49mm, but that doesn't fit, too big. Can anyone tell me what the size for a screw in filter for a voigtlander 100mm dynaron is? Despite my past rancour on other sites, it would be greatly appreciated. Regards Arthur (apiarist1). I would add, I trust that you are safe, no fever, no sore throat, no runny nose, etc.

A quality steel ruler placed across the front of the lens should give you a good indication of the filter size. Vernier or digital calipers would be even better. Or measure the lens cap if you have one?

Next standard size down from 49mm is 46mm, then 43mm and then 40.5mm. If it's none of those then you might have to look long and hard to find any filter that fits.

One of my lenses came with the stupidly small and hard to find 40.5mm thread. My solution was to fit a 40.5 to 52mm stepping ring that also acts as a very shallow lens hood.

Is it also possible that the lens came with no filter thread? Push-on filters were quite common in the 1950s era.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Joes remark about the 40.5mm filter is correct but the filters and other bits n pieces for that size are readily available off various net sources. Be aware that "modern" sources of the filters ARE NOT OPTICAL GLASS, but are some type of resin. I have a number of these filters for my various FSU Feds & Zorkis and use caution when cleaning them. Aloha, Bill

As I said, there are 3mm steps between standard filter sizes around the 49mm size. So there's no need for any great accuracy in measurement. If the thread measures approximately 46mm diameter (+/- 0.25mm) then there's a good chance it'll take a 46mm filter.

Thread diameters are conventionally measured across the peaks of the male thread. The inside diameter of the mating female thread will measure slightly smaller. But don't expect absolute accuracy, because threads need some slack, otherwise they'll bind.

Of course the 'standard' filter diameter series didn't stop some makers from using other diameters, thread-pitches or bayonet fittings. Jos. Schneider, for example, just couldn't seem to grasp the idea of a standard lens thread.

Be aware that "modern" sources of the filters ARE NOT OPTICAL GLASS, but are some type of resin.

I think that's only true if you buy cheap or unbranded filters Bill. Brands like Hoya, B+W and Heliopan will almost certainly be glass unless it's a filter type that just can't be fabricated in glass. A diffraction filter for example.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Thank you rick_drawbridge. I can only find a Moscow based seller on the auction site (Ah, covid 19 and Moscow - it'll probably go pear shaped there pretty soon). And he says it will take two months to get his adapter to me thru the post. Do you have any other suggestions for other vendors. As you said, it appears to be a 45mm thread. I was thinking of a step up ring from 45 to either 49 or 52. I have many of both sizes (pentax and canon). Thank you again. Regards, Arthur

arthur_mcculloch said:

Do you have any other suggestions for other vendors.

I remember I had trouble finding the 45-46 step up ring, and it looks as if the Russian vendor has cornered the Ebay market at an outrageous price. It appears that B&H stock a range of Helioplan 45mm step up rings at a reasonable price.

45mm step up rings | B&H Photo Video

It appears that B&H stock a range of Helioplan 45mm step up rings at a reasonable price.

45mm step up rings | B&H Photo Video

Wow! They have a 45 to 54mm step-up ring for sale. That must be the very definition of the old adage - "Out of the frying-pan and into the fire."

Let's hear it for standardisation!

And at those prices asked, I'd be tempted to rub down the thread of a 46mm stepping ring to a friction fit and use that.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1