Filter set-up for multiple sized lens

glenn_carroll

I am new to photography for the most part, and want a nice filter set-up for all my lens. I currently have a

Canon XSi with the 24-105 f/4L IS USM lens. I will probably get the 55mm f/1.4 USM, the 70-200mm f/4L IS USM,

and the MACRO 100mm f/2.8 USM.

With that lineup, I will have lens diameters of: 77mm 58mm and 67mm. I definitely want a good quality circular

polarizer such as this one:

B + W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Coated Glass Filter

I also want a nice cokin filter system (i think its cokin) that will allow me to slip in filters such as NGD's,

reverse NGD's, and maybe some tobacco filters for sunsets or red ones for good B&W photos. I read that this

needs to be a system that has the square sheets so I can adjust it up or down as opposed to a circular screw on

set-up that obviously cant move. I have two problems that I am wishing you all can help me with. (I have tried

reading everything but am still a bit confused)

1.) With all of those lens diameter sizes, I should probably get step down rings so i will only have to use one

filter right (77mm)? So instead of providing the basic knowledge of what to do (I kinda understand what needs to

happen), can someone give me specific information on what to get, such as the amazon link (or other site) to a

step down ring(s) that will be suitable for all lens? That way i have a product to read about rather than

generic concepts. Thanks

2.) I dont know what all i need with the square slider set-up (cokin system?). Do I get step rings for this too?

Is there a link you can provide for the attachment with appropriate step rings? On Adorama's website here:

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Filters&cat2=Graduated%20Color%20Filters

there are 11 sizes for the drop in squares, ranging from "A-Series" to "4x4" to 5x5, etc. can someone tell me

what I need to do to get get started with this? All help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

Glenn

I have a number of lens filter sizes, from 52mm to 77mm. I purchase 77mm filters and use step-up rings for my various lenses. Since I shoot 35mm, 6x6 and 4x5 this saves a little time, trouble, and cash.

See http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/category/4038/Lenses_Accessories_Filters_Accessories.html for an assortment of rings and filter stuff...

The Cokin filter sets use different adapter rings- but they are pretty cheap, and slide into place on the various square holders without much trouble. Decide on your size (I'd go with the 4x4 or larger) and pick your rings and filters.

thanks for the helps guys. And thanks Robert for the website--it looks helpful....and thanks Vincent for correcting by backwardness. It makes more sense now. Quick question for anyone--is it as hard to clean these gelatin filters as it is the multi-coated polarizers that everyone talks about? thanks