Filter on Sonnar 50/1.5 lens

r s

I was just about to put a filter on my 1950's Sonnar 50/1.5 that I use with my

Contax IIIa and I was convinced that the Zeiss 40.5mm filters I have would fit -

but alas - they don't. The filters seems to small to fit the lens but I could

had sworn that this lens took 40.5mm filters.

<br><br>

I also have an S1119 hood (that fits on the lens) and the filters can screw into

the hood.

<br>Am I wrong about the filter size on the Sonnar, is there a 'trick' to how to

use them - or is maybe the lens that I have damaged in some way?

<br>

Thanks in advance.

Solved my own question - it turned out that the hood I have 'grabbed' a black, outer ring from the lens and without it the filter didn't mount - once screwed back the filters fit fine. Good deal since I got a bunch of the 40.5mm filters.

Thanks Robert, I think I can see what you mean.

<br>

Another question - in the two top photos above one can see a black ring that goes along the front of the lens. That black ring - on my lens - is not fixed. It screws into the lens (it has screw threads on both sides) so when I screwed in my S1119 hood and later unscrewed it the black ring was 'attached' to the hood and I couldn't screw in any filter until I replaced the ring on the lens. Is this 'the way it's supposed to be'? It just seems like a risk that one looses that ring and with that the ability to use screw in filters and hoods. Are spare rings available?

I don't know the correct answer on your Sonnar 50/1.8 but my old Leicafles SL 50/2 Summicron was set up to use Series IV filters (IIRC) that were held in place using a threaded ring like you describe. The ring had an IV stamped in the side. The 50/2 Sonnar that came on my Contax IIa many years ago did not use the ring.

That is a nice, nice IIIa you have there.

Chuck