Filter for indoor Arena

mel_love

I have a Nikon D80, I love my camera, I know there are tons of features that I dont

know how to use. but what filter should I be using for shooting pictures in and

indoor arena, Most likely it will not be action shots. just still photos. I have a 18-

135 lens. I think?

Thanks in advance

Melissa

No special filter is required, Mel. Lots of folks put a clear or UV filter on their lens to

protect the front element from dirt, salt spray, et-cetera, but this is totally a matter of

personal choice. Some feel that using filters in that way unnecessarily degrades their images. Personally, I use clear or UV filters on all of my lenses except while shooting

in the studio. Now that I shoot mostly with a digital camera, The only other filter use is

a circular polarizing filter.

You shouldn't need or use any kind of color balancing filter, Shoot raw and use a very good neutral balancing reference like the <A HREF = http://whibal.com>WhiBal</a>.When you process the raw files select all of the photos that were shot under the same lighting conditions and in the frame with the WhiBal (or other neutral reference) use your raw processor of choice's white balance eye dropper to click on the reference target and sync that conversion with all of the photos you have selected.

No filter is needed for most use on a digital camera. Occasionally for special effects a filter can be useful, but as Ellis pointed out color corrections can be done digitally.

And as Robert suggested, there may be times when a protective filter is appropriate. I use them only on certain lenses that are normally used outdoors where they help protect the lens from blowing grit (a major problem here in Texas, especially at certain times of year).

If you take a lot of photos of kids and animals in casual situations a filter can protect the lens from paw prints and nose smudges. Kids and pets can't seem to resist.

Otherwise, even a protective clear filter can cause more problems than they solve. They can contribute to flare in some circumstances, so it's much more important to use a good lens shade.