Films and some advices for a Rally event.

j-flo

Next week I'm traveling to Guanajuato Mexico to the next stage of the

World Rally Championship, I'm a newbie an I would like to ask if some

one could recommend me what ISO film I should use, this stage is in a

desert, mostly during the day, I don't think it would be cloudy, I

only have 3 lenses, 35-80, 75-300 and 50mm, a Canon Rebel G camera

and the polarizer filter. I'm planning to use the camera's auto

settings and autofocus, but I would like to try to adjust my own

settings, so, if some one could gime me some tips, Time-Aperture

settings to try, etc I would appreciate it!!!

Thanks!!!

Hi, there are some tips I used several years ago at the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Buenos Aires, which worked for me. If a sunny day can be anticipated, then film in the range of 100 - 400 ISO should be fine; the latter for using the tele zoom. Try to find a favorable location between the sun and your subjects; preferably in order to get a lateral lighting. You can use the 35-80mm for shots of the public or to shoot the cars and the competitors before the race (if possible). During the race, you can take oblique or front shots from strategical locations with your 75-300mm: use a high shutter speed; pre-focus the lens using a reference point where the cars are expected to pass; always keep a safe distance! Autofocus may not be useful. When shooting from a lateral location (right angle to the racetrack) you can set a lower shutter speed and make a panning of the cars in order to blur the background; again, pre-focus the lens.

Have sufficient rolls of film available; you may have to make several shots of a similar situation to find one image that satisfies you. Finally, be ready to protect your equipment from the blowing dust.

Good luck and have a good time!

Fernando

Fernando's comments make a good, brief primer on what you should plan for and how to approach this event, but I have to disagree with him about the film ISO. In the bright sunlight of North Central Mexico I'd stick with a film with an ISO range of 50 to 200. Remember that if you freeze the rotation in the wheels you'll lose any impression of motion in the car. High shutter speeds, and wide open apertures, are best suited for head-on shots where the wheels aren't as visible.

As far as settings for shutter speed and aperture you can take a look at some of the recent shots in my Sports portfolio on PN that contain information in the "Details" section on aperture, shutter speed and ISO (http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=388143).

Other PN members have posted some WRC shots and you might want to take a look at their portfolios for some ideas on composition:

Santi Martinez Romero - http://www.rccompeticion.com/galeria/Photos/Temp2004/rallycatalunya/catalunya2004.php#

and Juha Kivekäs -

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=417580

Have fun and I hope you post some of your results.