Film vs. Wet Process Glass Plate

This newfangled "film" (or "flimsy") media is just so wrong in so many ways.

It does not run or merge like wet plate, hence it does not reflect natures

dynamic way, indeed gravity, which can subtlety alter outcomes to remind us of

our humble place in the Way of Things.

Film is profane. Anyone can retouch film. And I suspect it will become

commonplace. With film anyone can make a picture. And I suspect such will be

so. With film the Lords of commercial processing take over the process so that

the art and craft of wet plate processing is lost; photography becomes

profane, commonplace.

And it gets worse. The introduction of the exposure timing mechanism

(tentatively termed a "shutter") suggests further alienation of humankind from

The Moment, automating exposure, removing the profound variability of our

nature.

This is the lowest moment in the history of Photography. I cannot imagine how

it could possibly degenerate further.

Pico in the wayback machine

<i>Enlarging is for photogs who have to fix it in the darkroom. </i><p>

Enlarging diminishes the True Essence of the print. The outcome of enlarging is weak, impoverished, diluted, a shadow of the real print. We will know the evil Flimsies have taken over the heart and soul of photography when people begin to praise the artifacts tentatively named "grain", that noisy dirt and filth that contaminates the image. <p>

If this trend continues, we may have to give up our darkroom tents out in the field where they belong and end up in a stuffy room in the bowels of the basement. Someday, they'll probably give cameras a brain that can actually set the exposure and even focus the lens: there goes our job!

My Great-Grandfather was a Corporal in Hiram Berdan's famed 1st Regiment United States Sharp Shooters (U.S.S.S.) in the American Civil War that lasted from 1861 to 1865. Sharpshooters were both loathed and admired for their prowess with a rifle as this reference to a web site about Winslow Homer's well known illustration of a Sharpshooter firing his weapon will attest. http://www.sonofthesouth.net/Winslow_Homer_Letter.htm

FWIW Winslow Homer and my GGF might have met. Both of them were present at the Seige of Yorktown during the Penninsula Campaign. Yorktown was taken May 4, 1862. This is more interesting to me than to you; this coincidence of the famous with the ordinary, but then it's impossible to really understand the everyday details that challenge unremarkable people to develop and perfect awesome skill in something so difficult as photographic image-making.

The war captured the interest and attention of everyone, and as it progressed, I dare say hundreds of glass plate images were made every day of every sort of military subject and location a photographer could reach with a camera. This went on for five years.

After the war all the thousands of these images became worthless and a great many of the glass plates were broken and thrown away. Many more were used to make greenhouses and windows for various outbuildings. So much for technology! Still, I would like to see whatever images of Sharpshooters might exist in hope of seeing a picture of my GGF as a young man. Gone but not forgotten. In its own place not very silly either. Simply the way things were done. Straight up.

It's too bad we're photograhers and not writers. The idea of a window that is itself an image of another reality has obvious and hidden symbolic overtones too good to pass up in a good story. Would anyone like to accept a challenge to see how one might put this notion in a visual context photographically?