Film Treasure

The guy in the video reverted from digital to film and look what he found.....

When Joe McGurn decided to put his digital camera down and delve into the world of film photography, he says he never imagined it would lead to him finding a kindred spirit.

He bought a bunch of boxes at an auction that contained old negatives that used to belong to a photographer.

"He was was on the USS Missouri and in 1945, he was stationed on that boat and he took about ten pictures of this. This is a Japanese surrender in Tokyo Bay in 1945. He was actually there. It was an incredible piece of history. You know, I just can't believe what I'm seeing. He wrote on there "surrender" and then the other envelope said "freedom" and I thought, 'I wonder what these are?' I looked at them and went, 'wait a minute, there's a Japanese general over there and that's Douglas MacArthur.' I just thought it was an incredible historical document. This guy was everywhere and recorded everything."

Another amazing find, two boxes of undeveloped film shot more than 50 years ago that Joe has started to develop himself.

"I really felt it was obligation for me to develop them and make sure that they saw the light of day."

Link:

Rockland man makes incredible discovery after auction purchase

Edited by Moving On
  • Like 3

Some years ago, I bought an exposed roll of VP122.

I had to tray develop it (no 122 tank), and it did work.

One frame is a picture of the Mackinac bridge under construction.

Not so well exposed, I suspect a simple camera on a cloudy day.

-- glen

Everything is subject to a lawyer and jury....

I didn't buy any negs or unprocessed film but bought a lot of slide trays that came with slides. I don't know what right I have to those pictures. Can I post them online? Can I sell prints made from them? And I am talking about right as in copyright not model release and such as I don't want to use pictures with people in them.

As well as I know, the law says that the original photographer has the rights.

If you have the negative, and the original photographer never saw it, and never

made a print from it, he/she will have a difficult time proving ownership.

If you sell prints for $1, I suspect that no-one will notice, or care enough if they do.

If you sell prints for $1,000,000 then there is incentive for someone to notice.

The rule here is that you (the poster) are the photographer to post.

-- glen