I may have done this wrong, I apologize I’m new to this site. However, I’m trying to figure out the source of my film processing issues; The last 3 rolls of Black & White film I developed I notice scratches along the edges, outside of the sprocket holes. Basically, where the name of the film usually shows is either clear or scratched.

image.thumb.jpg.ad44e2f91093c0c1b63db2620f932682.jpg image.thumb.jpg.28e49c3c53af52faf827f3c326120fbb.jpg EC1971B3-CEE3-4299-840E-341A1AC1113E.thumb.jpeg.e939b347d50db97375cd252f62bdb97c.jpeg

The first 2 times I used a plastic tank and saw Discoloration and black marks on the outside edges and now, I tried to use a stainless steel tank and I’m seeing scratches.

i use a Nikon FA that normally has had no issues when I get rolls professionally developed so I can’t tell what the problem would be. The frames themselves come out fine, so the issue is cosmetic I think but I’m shooting for perfection if possible. If anyone could diagnose this, it would be awesome.

Film is sensitive to pressure, heat, and chemical fumes etc. These marks could be caused by friction as the film slides onto the reel, these are called pressure marks, It is also possible the pressure marks were caused by the film transport mechanism of the camera. Unlikely but possible, marks are due to the edge printer at Kodak. Thank your lucky stars the marks are not in the image areas.

Film is sensitive to pressure, heat, and chemical fumes etc. These marks could be caused by friction as the film slides onto the reel, these are called pressure marks, It is also possible the pressure marks were caused by the film transport mechanism of the camera. Unlikely but possible, marks are due to the edge printer at Kodak. Thank your lucky stars the marks are not in the image areas.

Thank you, so in order to reduce these pressure marks, what would you suggest? For plastic reels, I feel that it’s easier to not put as much pressure in loading but I still end up with the same results either way? I will definitely be looking at the pressure plate in my camera to see if it’s causing issues.

Are your reels new? If they have been used a lot they may need to be cleaned to get rid of residual chemicals. Since this isn't happening in the image itself, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Steel reels are easier to keep clean than plastic and tanks for steel reels generally use less chemistry than those for plastic so steel will be more economical in the long run.

Are your reels new? If they have been used a lot they may need to be cleaned to get rid of residual chemicals. Since this isn't happening in the image itself, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Steel reels are easier to keep clean than plastic and tanks for steel reels generally use less chemistry than those for plastic so steel will be more economical in the long run.

That is a good point, I clean them after every use with hot water, but I bought everything used off craigslist so I’m not sure what the condition was before I began utilizing them. I assume a toothbrush and soap will work fine to clean both types of reels?

The clear patches are from lack of developer reaching that area of film. Either from contact with the spiral or slightly insufficient quantity of developer.

Scratches could come from grit on the guide rails of the camera, or from rough edges of the developing spiral.

I would certainly check the camera guide rails and give them a wipe clean, but otherwise, why worry? As long as any marks are limited to the sprocket-hole area of the film, where's the harm?

• Like 1