Film scanner for Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar

Funny you should ask. I just picked up a Nikon Coolscan IV ED today... Yes, it ships with software compatible with Jaguar -- I've been scanning all day with no problem. And I'm very happy with it -- seems far better than the HP S20 I used with my old pee cee system.

I have not had a problem right out of the box. There is a readme file that mentions a couple problems (basically, as summarized here: http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=14336), but they don't really affect me. (Problems with "sleep mode" if you're using an LS4000 or 8000, and problems saving in PICT format, which I have not had occasion to do.)

If you know of other specific problems people have been experiencing, maybe I can test them out for you (and me).

I have an LS-4000 and Jaguar (also 9.2.2) and I can't use the scanner with

Jaguar with Nikon's software. The only screen that pops up is the tool pallete.

But, you can use Vuescan with Jaguar (which is only $40), instead of Nikon

Scan. I am too new to scanning to comment on the difference in the ability of

Vuescan and Nikon Scan, but there's a ton of info in the archives (which is

where I found out about Vuescan myself). I still can use my scanner in 9.2.2

(which I really have come to hate ever since getting Jaguar).

To summarize, get Vuescan and an LS-4000 :-)

Use the LS-4000 with Vuescan (from hamrick.com). Excellent software that drives the scanner better than the nikon software. Btw, the nikon software for Jaguar should be out later this year. I'm very happy with this combination.

There seems to be some misconception about the Nikon software that is available. While it may have a couple bugs (referenced in my earlier post), Nikon software running for Jaguar (not in Classic) is definitely available now -- I'm using it, and it shipped on a CD-ROM. The readme files expressly discuss Jaguar (and the small number of bugs associated with it). With my Coolscan IV, I haven't had any problems yet, but the readme does say there are additional problems (e.g., with sleep mode) with the LS-4000.

The new Jaguar software apparently does not include a Photoshop plug-in, which may be why some people deny its existence. (I do not have Photoshop set up on my Mac system yet, so I haven't taken the time to verify that no plug-in is included.)

Matt,

Can you tell us what version of Nikon Scan shipped on the CD-ROM you have? Since I purchased my LS-4000 last year, I have needed to download the software. The version currently on Nikon's site 3.1.3, while marked "Updated" on 10/16/02, is still the same version that has been available for a few months and does not work on my Dual 800MHz Quicksilver running 10.2.1.

(For some reason, my first attempt to add this response didn't take ... Sorry if it

pops up later.)

My Coolscan IV ED came with Nikon Scan 3.1.3 as well... I use an iMac G4

800 and OS X.2.1 -- nothing unusual about my setup.

I wonder if Nikon Scan 3.1.3 works with the Coolscan IV but not with the LS-

4000 (although its documentation claims that it does). I simply have had no

problems using the Coolscan IV (though I've only been working with it for a

day).

Just my $.02 -

I use a Nikon LS-2000 with a PowerMac 933 Jaguar, and I use Vuescan. I've been very happy with it, and Vuescan supports things like ICE, and Multi-scan sampling. Nikonscan is not available for using Mac OS X with SCSI scanners (LS-2000 is SCSI). My only complaint is Jaguar has sent my computer backwards in time, a time where I used to be able to completely sleep my computer with SCSI devices attached...

I am running 10.2.1 on an 800 mhz iMac. I got a Canon FS4000 and VueScan. I did not

even open the software package that came from Canon. The scanner and VueScan work

beautifully together.

As far as the "cat" is concerned, it works wonderfully. I have printed a 60+meg file on

an Epson 2200 while scanning, playing MP3's and checking my email. A gig of RAM is

great and so is 10.2, VueScan and the Canon FS4000.

Cheers, Jim

nikon scan 3.1.3 does not work with jaguar for the 4000/8000 scanners, nikon's software compatibility pages says...

"Nikon Scan v3.1.3 is not compatible with Mac OS10.2; further announcements regarding compatibility will be made here. If you have already upgraded your Operating System to Mac OS 10.2 it may be possible to use the LS-40 with Nikon Scan v3.1.3, however, Nikon can not guarantee operation. When connecting the LS-4000 and LS-8000, Nikon Scan will open but the scanners will not be recognised."

I can assure you, My LS-4000 does NOT work with Jaguar with Nikon Scan

software. I was all excited when I saw the update on their download page and

quickly downloaded it. For some reason it doesn't recognize the scanner as

being connected. I called Nikon and tech support rep confirmed--Jaguar/LS-

4000 doesn't work....yet.