Film Sales, Market Figures?

gary_ferguson1

This thread would appear to be on a similar subject.<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00I78P&unified_p=1">Film/Digital Camera Sales 2006</a>

<p>

From this link quoted in the thread...<br>

<a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1158601458.html">http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1158601458.html</a>

<p>

"The film camera market continues to dry up significantly ahead of projections, meanwhile. CIPA had been projecting the total silver halide market to shrink by 38% this year, but in fact the first seven months of 2006 saw a 67.1% drop - leading to a projected fall of 62% by the end of the year".

<p>

Nothing specifically mentioning 120/220 film though.

Well, without having the numbers just for 120/220 films, the overall numbers do not carry much information for medium format shooters. Most of the film sales is in 35mm and that market is dropping fast, no doubts about it.

I shoot as much medium format as last year (actually more), but the film is a little harder to get and no lab in town develops it in house (they all ship it out).

The price increase is inevitable. I only shoot about 1-2 rolls of medium format roll film per month now, so the price increase doesn't hurt me much. What hurts more is that a good cup of coffee now costs $1.50-$2.00 per cup, let alone the price of cappuchino drinks.

Anyone who is familiar with microeconomics will know that there is a U-shaped curve for old technology. Really old stuff costs a ton! This is seen in many fields, not just photography. As demand falls because of new technology, the cost to produce older products rises because there is less demand. With lower volume there is higher cost to produce each unit. In addition, we in photography have been lucky enough to benefit from the use of photodeveloping as a 'loss leader' to get customers into a store. Stores like Costco will do a service for less than they cost, in an effort to draw customers into the store and buy other products. This phenomenon draws prices down across a market as other providers try to compete. So even if you won't take your film into a department store, thank them for competing in a market and challenging your favourite photodeveloper to compete. As volume falls we can expect to lose that advantage as well. I just hope that there is someone who will develop my film, someone who has survived competition with department store giants.

On the other hand, expect to see the resale value of digital technology to plumment. That $8000 camera will be worth $1000 in a few years. The loss in value of cutting edge technology would buy a lot of film, even if photo developing prices rise dramatically. So if you stay in film a little longer you may save money, expecially if you shoot low volumes. High volume consumers may be wise to switch now, expecially if they will accept lower-end technology.

I am not shooting as much film as I use to. But mainly due to a move from a large city to the countryside and a small town. I do worry about the availabilty of processing my film (120). Can't take that down to Wal-Mart or Sams. I am near the end of my Wedding Career and do not see me converting all the way over to Digital. Especially not when the one other photographer in the area is already quite aways ahead of me in that department. It would be nice if the labs would let us film users know their plans for the future of film processing, so we don't get stuck with Weddings we won't be able to process.

Resale value is immaterial if you intend to use the camera.

Bargains abound in both digital and film cameras as people churn their gear. I see that KEH is selling a Nikon F90 (the European-named version of the USA's N90) for $84 -- this camera sold new 5 years ago for $750.

But hey, you can also get a complete Bronica ETR outfit with normal lens for $175.

Or a used digi_Rebel or *ist for under $400....

• 1 year later...

Fuji now has film sales figures buried in their annual report:

2007: 103 billion yen -

2006: 124 billion yen -

2005: 156 billion yen

(http://www.fujifilmholdings.com/en/pdf/investors/annual_report/ff_ar_2007_part_011.pdf)

Older reports don't break out film sales independently, but their 2000 report gives imaging sales as 470 billion yen, predominately film but including digital cameras.