Film in Carry-on (Airport Security)

I'm travelling to Paris from Toronto tomorrow. I'm taking 20-30 rolls of film (120 and 35) in my carry-on. Can I request a hand-check? If they refuse, would the xray machine damage the films? All my films are under 400 ISO. I do have a lead bag but I think that might make the situation worse. I was born in middle east and have middle eastern features so always tend to get checked no matter what and you know how things are now a days with the middle eastern countries. I don't mind the extra inspection as long as my films stay fine!

Hello Amfar. Hopefully your Canadian version of our TSA is a bit more progress than here in the US. Here 120 is required to be out of the foil packaging to perform a swab test (for exposives). 35mm film will be taken out of it's plastic container for a similar swabbing. I have never been hasseled by out TSA when I request hand inspection of my films, but my travels have only been domestic of late. Enjoy the trip. Aloha, Bill

I haven't flown in a few years, but even when film was still in common use I had issues getting hand checks of it. In all honesty, I gave up and I've yet to have an issue. I MIGHT insist on it if I were traveling with Delta 3200 or similar, but I don't worry about it with the low speed films I shoot these days.

You can always ask, but don't make an issue of it if you're denied. To decrease their reluctance, it's usually a good idea to unbox all of your film and toss it in a zip lock bag. I also use to take 35mm out of the plastic can and 120 out of the foil wrapper-again the less work they have to do, the more likely they are to honor it.

The #1 cardinal rule of flying with film is to never check it. The only X-ray damaged film I've run across was in a checked bag.

I fly to the us from canada all the time and i have never had issues with the carry on xray. I never ask for hand inspection as it is not worth the grief and these guys probably have never known film. I am a whitie, so i could only imagine what asking for special treatment would do. Just cary on and go with the flow. Just carry a camera in case they ask.

TSA says that under ISO 800 is fine, though you have to consider how many airports you will go through. They always allow for hand inspection. I have never had anyone want to open foil packs, but have had them open plastic 35mm cans. I believe that is also true for Canada, but am not so sure.

Other countries (AU, NZ), at least with simple asking, wouldn't do hand inspect.

I have lead bags, and sometimes use them, partly to make it easier to keep track of the rolls. (A ziplock bag would also do that.)

Since I use Diafine, I could claim that I was using my film over ISO 800, even if it wasn't rated that high. That question never came up.

If I am close to boarding time, I am less likely to worry about it.

In the cold war days, there were questions about the X-ray equipment in places like the USSR, which might be high power.

-- glen

Do yourself a favour - regardless of your ethnicity - forget about the hand inspection and just leave your film in your carry-on bag. Research[1] has shown that ISO 400 film can withstand up to 24 passes through carry-on x-ray screening with no ill effects. You are going on one flight there and one flight back (presumably). You have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Someone posts a question here on this issue periodically, and nobody has ever posted an example of film fogged by carry-on x-rays.

I also think the lead bag suggestion is a terrible idea. What will the airport screener see on his/her screen only a big black suspicious block!

Plus, removing 120 film from the foil wrapper means it is no longer protected against moisture/humidity.

[1] http://www.stac.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/publications/documents/effet_rx_sup_photo.pdf

I haven't made any intercontinental flights with film, but flights within Europe I so far haven't seen any negative effect on my images from letting it pass through security in my carry-on luggage - including Delta 3200. I've never had to take it out of the bag, open canisters or otherwise. I wouldn't worry too much.

i remember travelling a lot in the period 2001-2005 at which time i used a film camera and reading about and buying those sky blue plastic and velcrose "x-ray proof " cases for film. god i hated the impact of photography in those days.

Don't know as I'd try a Film Shield bag nowadays. Last I looked, TSA was required by law to hand check photo gear on request. Purportedly, no US equipment will harm film, except with many scans. Regardless of pre check status, I have had TSA completely unpack my digital camera bag on several occasions, once even flipping through pages of a camera manual. Another time, a guy counted the cash in my wallet. Pretty random, not to mention infuriating.

Your film will get more radiation exposure from the high-altitude flight than from the X-Ray at the airport. Will there be measurable effects? Yes. Will there be meaningful effects beyond what is normally corrected in printing? No. Just a tiny bit more base fog.