Film for a 3x4 Crown Graphic

Discussion in 'Large Format' started by steve_mareno, Apr 10, 2009.

  1. I just "won" a great looking Crown Graphic camera w/ a 127 Ektar lens on the auction site for less than $80! I was really happy until the seller got back to me and pointed out that it is a 3x4 (apparently I can't read the ads). Oh oh. Where in the world am I going to get film for this? Do they even make 3x4 film or 3x4 film holders anymore? Am I going to have to look for a 6x9 roll film back? I'm trying to make the best out of this situation as it's such a nice looking camera, but this has me stumped. Thanks.
  2. Freestyle stocks Efke PL100 in 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 inch (quarter plate). The film holders are out there as well, at least used.
    Roll film back would also be practical. You would need one that goes behind a spring back if you don't have a Graflok back.
  3. 3.25 x 4.25 sheet film is still available, but options are limited:
  4. Thanks John. The camera appears to have the spring back. I couldn't find film holders on the auction site. Maybe I need to type in 3 1/4x4 1/4 (why oh why couldn't they call it what it is, but that's like expecting a 2 x 4 to be 2" x 4" I suppose). I would just as soon go w/ film holders & cut film anyway. I guess the main thing is to get the film holders, as it appears it's possible to cut down 4x5 film like others have done. That should be fun, using a sharp razor knife in the dark.
  5. Steve,
    I have a 3x4 Speed Graphic as well as an old Zeiss-Ikon 9x12 Universal Jewel with a 3x4 spring back. I use the latter a good deal and have been able to pick up quite a few 3x4 film holders through ebay. They show up regularly but watch the prices, some folks ask exorbitant prices. I have bought like new holders for $8 - $10 each. You are limited to Efke 100 from Freestyle but I have used that film with great success. I tried cutting down 4x5 film but it is hard to get clean cuts and keep dust off so do that only if you must have another film type. Enjoy the camera!
    Ron Gratz
  6. has your holders for $15 each
  7. I have been using the Efke PL100 film. You can get it from Freestyle Photographic, It has a rather soft emulsion, you have to be careful, but I have been using it in my 3x4 Auto-Graflex.I have a bag-mag which holds 12 sheets of film. I also have a 120 roll film holder, but it is for a Graflex back, not a Graflok back. (They are different).
  8. In addition to the films listed above, I also use Kodak Electron Image film (or Electron Beam film, I forget which name is correct). It is 3 1/4 x 4 inches (not 4 1/4 inches). I expose it at ASA 10 and develop in Diafine. It could also probably be developed in Technidol. I find it on sale on Ebay every once in a while, usually from Hunt Photo. I have a supply of about 1000 sheets, obtained cheap. I really like it. I have shot it in 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Speed Graphics, Graflex SLR's, and in an old 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 view camera. The film has very low grain, and developed in diafine is just a little more contrasty than Tri-X. My favorite portrait of my brother and his wife was shot on this film.
  9. I have one of my favorites, the Graflex (SLR) 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 permanently mated to a Graflex
    2 1/4 x 3 1/4 roll holder. It makes me happy!
  10. Graflok backs for 3x4 show up on eBay all the time, and you can sometimes buy them cheaper with a Pacemaker camera attached and then resell your rig or keep for parts. Then add a 23 back. BTW searching 3 x 4 will usually turn up all auctions. (Note the spaces.)
    Someone has already mention Freestyle but I cut film for years using a standard paper cutter. I use Dymo tape to mark the positions and old film or RC paper to test the fit. I would first make all the 3.25 cuts from the 4-inch side, retaining the edge with the notch code, then rebox my film. And reset the cutter for the 4.25 cuts. Piece of cake.

Share This Page