film exposed 10-20 years ago

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by jeremy_brothers, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Looking through some old gear and found a used, undeveloped roll of Kodak 300
    film. Would this film still develop images?

2. My bad, Kodak *200 film

3. There's no way to know in advance. Just try it and take your chances. What are the other markings on the canister?

4. Don't have it with me at the moment, but I'll try to post a picture next chance I get.

5. lwg

lwg

It's likely to give decent results. I've developed 25 year old Kodak color film and it surprisingly was just fine. Given that it's that old you will need to dunk it in a formalin based stabilizer once developed. The newer films don't need that, but the older ones do. Most of the new stabilizers are really just photoflo type rinses now and have no stabilization effect.

6. Do you mean Kodacolor 200? Kodak didn't make anything called just Kodak 200.

I would trash it. 20 year old color film will definitely have a color shift if not exposure issues. You can buy a roll of color film for $2 but it's going to cost you anywhere from about $5 on up to develop. So the cost of developing a doubtful roll is several times what the roll of film is worth.

7. I would trash it. 20 year old color film will definitely have a color shift...
    The OP is talking about developing a roll that was exposed long ago, not exposing an old unused roll.

8. Surely it's worth a few bucks to see what has remained after all these years. I've had old film done and always found the results "interesting" at least.
    It's sort of like Schroedinger's Cat, you won't know if it's alive or dead until it's been developed.
    I've posted on some old film found in interesting old cameras ( e.g., http://www.photo.net/modern-film-cameras-forum/00YqZh ).
    That film was only some 10 years in limbo, but it turned out mostly fine, if fairly grainy.
    In another case, film much older than 20 years was double exposed unknowingly by me (it looked like it was unused) - a Soviet film called Tso-100 ( http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00X4HR, earlier details at http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00WzWJ ).
    00cB7T-543725784.jpg

9. Just get it developed, not printed, it to save money and get a CD made to view the images. The latent image does degrade over time depending on storage conditions but exposed films far older than 20 years have been developed with usable images. Who knows what forgotten memories could be on there. Definitely worth a few bucks.

10. I'm wondering of there's a 5-10-20 year extended, or push development formula to go by?

11. "The OP is talking about developing a roll that was exposed long ago, not exposing an old unused roll."
    My mistake.
    To get anything special done in development,you're going to have to take it to a professinal lab and pay accordingly. If it were a roll of film from my own family and potentially had pictures on it that would be important to me, I would do that. But if it's a stranger's film, I would just get it developed as any other roll.

12. Last year I was given a Kodak disposable camera (containing 400ASA color new), expired 2002 and part exposed, presumably around that time. The last two-or-three years the camera had been in forgotten in the bottom of a car trunk, so must have had significant heat exposure.
    I exposed the remainder of the film, and (to my suprise) these "modern" shots were fine, looked as good as fresh film. but the "old" exposures had deteriorated to almost unusable images.