"Film colour character" - image comparison?

Hello

I am searching for visual examples of different "colour characters" of colour

films (neg and slide), i.e. same scene shot onto different films in nearly

identical conditions. Or at least shot digitally at different film simulation

settings by a Fuji digital camera. Does anyone know whether these can be found

somewhere on the web or elsewhere?

Thanks in advance

b

It is easy to get "caught up" when posting and make assumptions that other's will understand ( I get a lot of "Huhs). Shooters prefer film "versions" for their "known" characteristics and just because "they" know what has been the appearance/outcome in the past. They may choose for one aspect and compromise on all the others that may come with it. It may have been given, found, cheap, and out of date with no provenence of its "care". Many SW programs are touting film-like buttons now. You seem to want a cross index of typical film appearance characteristics digitally reproduceable. You want a short cut. If there isn't a book on it, yours may be the first. It sound like more than a term paper, yet not enough for a masters. In either case it may take a lot of research.

Here is a very tiny part of what you are looking for:

http://homepage.mac.com/randrews4/PhotoAlbum22.html

This consists of a digital original and simulations via Alien Skin of K-64, K-200, and V-50. IMHO, Alien Skin did a reasonable job of simulating the color saturation and contrast of the three films. The grain differences they added are in the right direction, but probably underestimated the differences. The one thing that any after-the-fact simulation can never reproduce is the sensitivity patterns of different films. If your film reproduced the Heavenly Blue Morning Glories as violet instead of sky blue, a simulation will not fix it. If your film failed to capture the red glow of hydrogen in while shooting night sky pictures of the Orion Nebula, there is no simulation that can recover it.

FWIW, while working at Kodak, I saw a number of multiple film picture comparisons. It is extremely difficult for the average amateur to shoot a good comparison. (I tried to do it myself on occasion.) The camera must be on a tripod and the scene must be controlled. You need to use one camera for all shots unless you have matched lenses. If it is under sun light, you might have as much as an hour to maintain similar sun angles. If you have people in the shots, you need professional models who can hold the same pose. Processing must be done at the same time unless you have access to a lab with exceptional quality control. All scenes must be custom printed. It is a good idea to include a gray card in all scenes and match the reflection density of the gray card in the print within 0.01. A picture demo with 4 or 5 scenes and 5 or 6 different films might cost $10,000 to produce. Obviously lots of people get great pictures without going to these lengths. The process of photography is very forgiving until you start making side-by-side comparisons. If a model tilts her head a little different, it will change the shadows and give you a different impression of contrast and grain. A fair comparison of two films is far harder to achieve than excelent pictures from one film.

I'm not a professional but last winter I took pictures of the same bird feeder with both my film camera and my digital camera within an hour of each other and I had the same lab print them both. The digital camera got the color much more accurate than the film camera. The digital camera accurately got the bird feeder as turquoise and the film camera got it as olive green. If you want, I can upload the images to this site.