Film Camera Weekend for September 8

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by Mike Gammill, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Great images, everyone. While I'm well-stocked with several black and white emulsions I've been really testing the Kentmere 100: because of the good results that our members are getting with it and it's the least expensive ISO 100 film for me. I've settled on a processing time of 8' in HC110 dilution H at 68F. With that processing I find that I'm getting box speed and have negatives that both scan well and are easily printable. Currently using a batch of D-72 that I mixed from bulk chemicals for my printing.
    Will post scans later from the two rolls of Kentmere 100 that are drying in my darkroom. One from my Olympus OM-1 and the other from Konica Auto S1.6. Meter was reading too high on the Konica so I partially covered the CDS cell with black sharpie until its meter agreed with an accurate meter. The Kentmere 100 in that camera confirmed the success of my efforts as I can use it on the EE setting with confidence again.

2. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

This is actually a 1981 "M" series Kiev with modernized features including a redesigned shutter speed dial, hot shoe, conventional rewind crank, and built-in take-up spool. So not quite identical to the original Contax.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. IMG_0182.JPG
    Interesting. I have 2 Kiev specimens. One I thought was a Kiev 4 or 4 A and from serieal number made in 1976 and a Kiev which outwardly looks like a Kiev 4 with a light meter (which still works) made in 1975. From your image now I am not sure what I have. Where do they make the distinction?

James Bryant likes this.
  4. I switched to he 110 and for me it is like. Magic for all my BW. TMAX 100,400 the formapan and arista which are the same. Glad to see that someone else is using it and likes it. I read that that he is grainy and less sharp but I like the results I get

5. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

The first "M" models were introduced around 1976 (dates differ depending on the source) and can be easily identified by having a rewind crank, though I have seen a 4M without a hot shoe as well. As a memory aid, the "A" models (old or new) are "absent" the meter. From your photos, it looks like you have a 4A and a 4.

6. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

I should note that the Kiev IIIa, however, does have a meter...just to make it confusing. :confused:

7. Two tidy examples.

Kiev 4's

Kiev 4 Pnet.jpg

donald_miller|5 likes this.
  8. As promised, some scans from the Kentmere 100 that I developed and scanned.
    upload_2017-9-10_15-33-42.jpeg
    Overexposed (Tycho is washed out), OM-1 with Orion Starmax 1540mm f12

This one was taken with the Zuiko 35mm f2.8
    upload_2017-9-10_15-35-39.jpeg
    1' time exposure at f8

Switching over to the Konica Auto S1.6
    upload_2017-9-10_15-38-24.jpeg
    outside Twisted Burger in Columbus MS

upload_2017-9-10_15-39-21.jpeg
    waiting with phones

upload_2017-9-10_15-40-16.jpeg
    table level view

upload_2017-9-10_15-41-9.jpeg
    late afternoon sunlit wall

donald_miller|5 likes this.
  9. escuta likes this.
  10. One has a Jupiter 8 and one is 8M. While we are talking about the Kiev 4 I have one annoying and I hope someone can tell me a simple problem. The wheel for focusing is a little loose and tends to slip gears. Looking at the two cameras I believe that the tab behind the wheel provides pressure to engage the wheel when it is depressed and I think it is a little out of shape so I have to put a lot of pressure on it. My question is can I get acces to this by simply removing the face plate that appears to have 4 screws and hopefully make an adjustment to address this?
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  11. FullSizeRender.jpg I stayed at a hotel in Miami a few years ago and this was the walpaper. Branding was edited out but my guess that it was a Kiev

Mike Gammill likes this.
  12. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

Donald, I was reading an article on this recently, and I believe you are correct about removing the face plate. The focusing wheel can be tightened with a screw. I can't find the link to the article, but the Kiev Survival Site should have some information.

Kiev Survival Site

Dave

13. thanks, I did see a disassembled Kiev on line and it looks simple enough to remove the front plate but they were not addressing my issue in this article but I could see the assembly. But you seem to confirm what I was hoping to be the case of simple adjustment. Sometimes you get to where you want only to find it is a little complicated than what you hope for. Thanks again

14. Well. I got down to the assembly to focus and found that one of the gears was stripped. I bought the camera in Moscow from someone who said he was an engineer and had just reworked the camera and I believed. Time to get one for parts.this was the Kiev with the meter.

15. A few more.
    upload_2017-9-11_17-56-17.jpeg
    out of order, Olympus OM-1, 35mm f2.8 Zuiko, Kentmere 100

upload_2017-9-11_17-57-47.jpeg
    dried cat paw prints, same gear as above

upload_2017-9-11_17-58-58.jpeg
    starry night, brightest star is Vega, same gear, one spot that is not a star

16. Hello everyone. Several from two farmers market I've visited this week. Both with a Fed-2 & I-26m lens (50mm). Ultrafine Max 400, OA & V800 scans. Enjoy, Bill 2k17-101-019 ces10 bc.jpg

Julio Fernandez likes this.
  17. The towel in the upper right corner grabbed my eye during focusing. It came home with me !. . now for some red with dinner.! 2k17-103-008 ces5 bc r.jpg

Mike Gammill likes this.