Film Camera Weekend for April 14

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone. Three from my recent Farmers Market sunday breakfast tour. All with the Fed-2/Jupiter-8 combo, Kentmere400, OA & V600 scans. "Rust" was taken when a group of women hit the market for some fruit, their "snacks" when doing an outrigger canoe paddle that morning. All were in their 70's ! Aloha, Bill2013587627_2k17-038-025ces10sel11x14.thumb.jpg.a84ccb9b0ec0498240de3b59296ac45c.jpg

I just bought a Mamiya 645e today and am wondering if it's a classic camera because it's manual focus or if it's a modern camera because it has aperture priority, meter and batteries (LR44x4). . I guess with different camera's around the house it would be nice if I knew where the line was drawn so that I could post accordingly. Being a new to me camera most likely I will be shooting it a lot for a while as I learn what I can do with it.

Well, Ross, it's all good on Film Camera Weekend. Any camera that takes film. Although we're keeping classic manual cameras and modern film cameras as separate forums, we're mixing the two in this weekend thread. FWIW, the first Mamiya 645 required batteries because it had an electronic shutter. Meter was in the finder. I think we've had several posts from various models of Mamiya 645 anyway.

Well, Ross, it's all good on Film Camera Weekend. Any camera that takes film. Although we're keeping classic manual cameras and modern film cameras as separate forums, we're mixing the two in this weekend thread. FWIW, the first Mamiya 645 required batteries because it had an electronic shutter. Meter was in the finder. I think we've had several posts from various models of Mamiya 645 anyway.

OK then. I will not actually have the camera for a few days until it shows up from KEH. I will post photos here. I have high hopes for the thing and will consider carrying it on my upcoming Half Dome Hike. I have a permit for June 8th but I have to get the feel of the weight and how to carry it along with a gallon of water, food, sunscreen, jacket, gloves, map and stuff. Tripod is out but I will take a mini pod for whatever camera I take along.

Another dark and stormy week, but things brightened up a little this morning and I managed to run a roll of Arista EDU Ultra 400 through a Pentax 6x7, trying out a 135mm SMC Pentax Macro f/4 lens that had arrived back from a CLA. It's not really a landscape lens, but I like the perspective it produces. I didn't have time to move more than a few hundred yards from home, so the scenery may be familiar. Developer was the usual PMK Pyro.

Dawn

Storm.jpg.779594360ed6a668f17a845ac1335c39.jpg

Survivor

Survivor.thumb.jpg.dd160dd4bc1663e6722ddd5b258b39bb.jpg

Tangle

Tangle.jpg.f0d0d2c40fc837c574bfed695da3fc2b.jpg

Yards

Yards.jpg.4261c4eda0e315e340f1525a6dbe4f45.jpg

As for somthing modern, here's a test shot from a Minolta 7000 using the very nice Minolta 35-70mm f/4 lens.Film was Kentmere 100 developed in PMK Pyro. I hope to finish a film I have in a Minolta 7000i within the next day or so, and I might post something from that.

Eighty.jpg.ffcf6dd2e68687c538e4354ba8e33b79.jpg

• Like 1

Rick, IIRC, the Maxxum 35-70 f 4 had an aspherical element as part of its design. It would be interesting to compare its performance to the manual focus Minolta Rokkor-X 35-70 f 3.5 or maybe to the Tamron 35-70. Minolta (as Maxxum) later offered a 35-70 f 3.5-4.5 but I don't think it performed as well as the original f 4 version.

Yes, Mike, I think the think the lens was one of the first to have a sort of hybrid aspherical element, with plastic and glass materials bonded together, thereby reducing the cost of the expensive all-glass item. It's certainly very sharp, and my first impressions rate it alongside the Rokkor 35-70mm f/3.5, one of my favourite short zooms. The later AF f/3.5-4.5 lens seems to have a lesser reputation, as you've pointed out. When I get a chance I'll try all three of the lenses, including the Tamron, on a digital platform, just for the sake of comparison. The 35-70mm f/4 is currently on the 7000i I mentioned above, so I may have a few more frames from it later in the weekend. Edited by rick_drawbridge