Film Camera Week for May 4

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by Mike Gammill, May 3, 2018.

1. I love that first shot. The crispness of it, and the interesting light, combined with the smooth tonality and the symmetry of the window frames and the positioning of the tables and chairs, with the unusual lights above all work together to elevate what could have been an ordinary snapshot to an image worth appreciating.

2. Dave, thank you. Will give it a try.
    Tony

3. davecaz said:
    I agree, these images are lacking a little in critical "sharpness". It was actually quite low light in the old cemetery, despite the sunny appearance, and I was tending to sacrifice shutter speed for DOF, shooting at 1/60th which is definitely slow for a lens sometimes extended to 70mm. So, I suspect a touch of camera shake may have something to do with it. The first frame, of the pond, would have been shot at 1/125 and appears to be reasonably sharp.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  4. Took My new F2 out for a walk today. I loaded a roll of Foma 100 and went downtown Austin TX to see what I could see. Never do I get to see this mural without cars parked in front of it.
    Janis-50-1.jpg

5. Thanks so much for the comment Davecaz! It seems to work well in monochrome.

6. Last Friday, Remembrance Day in the Netherlands.
    A short re-enactment of the signing of the Capitulation of German Forces in the Netherlands, Hotel "De Wereld" Wageningen 1945
    Not my best work, 1/10th of a second @ f/4.7, hand-held with a Graflex Anniversary Speed Graphic.
    I really need a flashgun for this sort of thing.....
    capitulatie.jpg
    Graflex Anniversary Speed Graphic with Graphic 23 roll film holder, Kodak 127mm f/4.7 Ektar, Rollei Retro 400S.

Yes, I was fighting with the Rollei film to get it onto the spool. :)

7. Of course you take the blame, rather than blaming the equipment :) If you mean the shot of the leaves, I agree that it appears sharper than the others, although that one seems to have harsher contrast than I've seen in your work before. Mind you, this is not intended as criticism, just a surprised observation.
    You're welcome, and I agree! Color would simply distract from this image.
    Getting anything recognizable at 1/10th of a second, using a camera the size of a volleyball, handheld, is impressive. This would certainly be considered publishable in journalism.

Rick_van_Nooij and bertliang like this.