Film Camera Week for February 26, 2021

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by Mike Gammill, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Shooting at asa 50 is a challenge with any camera as the speed is 1/30 sec with f8 settings. . . old fut shake does not help ! In mixed, average light levels (above shot) this FN-61 handles very well to my Zone System brain. When an extreme range is exposed, the hi-lites tend to be blocked. Compare this picture to the one above the Coconut scene. Different films and very different results. I will be able to solve 2k21-013-011 ces5 bc bm 4x6.jpg these "problems" with some simple increased exposure (asa 32) and cutting back on my developing about 2 minutes.

2. Last entry. Here is an outdoors capture on this film. ASA 50 yields a full scale negative and very good grain. I look forward to running the other emulsion thru the cameras and working out some filter factors for the tropical skies here in Hawaii. Developing time on the FN-64 was 13 minutes. 3ml of Hypercat in a 450ml Nikor. Aloha, Bill 2k21-013-034 ces10-horz.jpg

3. Nice work with the Astrum stock, Bill. I was mightily impressed by the Foto-100 but not quite so much by the Foto-200, though I may give it another trial. I was tempted by the FN-64 but decided that it really was going to be a little slow for my kind of photography, taking into account the loss of speed with the PMK Pyro processing. Your results show it to be competitive with Pan F 50 in terms of tonality and grain. I have some more of the Foto-100 on order but it seems to be in short supply, unsurprisingly enough!

4. I should add that when the pre-soak is dumped, the liquid will be very dark black / green. Perhaps the spent developer liquid will also be this color when the developer is dumped if the pre-soak is skipped.

5. Yes, that's usually just the anti-halation coating washing off on some films. Even if I refresh the pre-soak water in the tank, with Fomapan in medium/large format, the developer still tends to look a bit greenish when I pour it out.