Film Camera Week for August 3

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by Mike Gammill, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Greetings everyone and welcome to our new thread. Post as many images as you like from your film camera. I'll start with some shots from a roll of Plus-X that I processed yesterday. Camera was Maxxum 8000i with Maxxum 50mm f2.8 Macro.
    upload_2018-8-2_6-19-57.jpeg
    Granddaughter Lilly, f 2.8 on aperture priority, by window light
    As I mentioned in another thread, I like the 50mm macro as an overall lens when I don't need the speed of an f 1.7 or 1.4 lens.
    upload_2018-8-2_6-22-34.jpeg
    James and Lilly
    upload_2018-8-2_6-24-8.jpeg
    Outside new fast food restaurant
    upload_2018-8-2_6-25-14.jpeg
    mostly empty parking lot
    Later in the weekend I'll have some film from the Olympus OM-1.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone's images.

2. Daylily. Nikon FM2n, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, uv filter, Velvia 100. 2018 A 3 20.jpg

3. Farmers Market. FM2n, Nikkor 50/1.8 ais, uv filter, Velvia 100. 2018 A 3 29.jpg

bertliang and Mike Gammill like this.
  4. Gazebo. FM2n, Zeiss 25/2, yellow filter, Fomapan 400. 2018 ab&w 11 20.jpg

5. Field and Flowers. FM2n, Zeiss Milvus 50/1.4 2018 ab&w 11 10.jpg , yellow filter, Fomapan 400.

6. Bridge. FM2n, Zeiss 25/2, yellow filter, Fomapan 400. 2018 ab&w11 22.jpg

7. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

I've recently sold off a number of surplus cameras and lenses, among them a Fujica AZ-1. It's a good user SLR but not a model I was particularly attached to, and I already have a nice ST 801.

On my last roll with the AZ-1 I took a few test shots with two Russian mirror lenses, a MC ZM-7K 300/5.6 and a MC Rubinar 500/8 Macro. The Fujica's bright screen allows using the split-image focusing aid even at f/8, and the aperture-priority AE makes this setup fully automatic. Film was Kodak ColorPlus 200.

1) 500/8

Hummingbird, Fujica AZ-1 MC Rubinar 500 f8.jpg

Hummingbird

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  8. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

2) 300/5.6

Flower Box, Fujica AZ-1 MC ZM-7K 300 5.6.jpg

Flower Box

9. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

3) 500/8

Corvette, Fujica AZ-1  MC Rubinar 500 f8.jpg

Red Corvette

10. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

4) 300/5.6

Photo Gallery, Fujica AZ-1 MC ZM-7K 300 5.6.jpg

Gallery

11. From a recent Motorcycle / Kart race event in Spokane, Wa. This guy is popping a 3rd gear wheelie at 85mph. 2k18-061-DSCF1105 ces13 gsbc.JPG . Fed-2 / Juipiter-11 (135mm), UFX100, OA (s/s) & V800 scan. Aloha from the Mainland, Bill

12. Canon-Jupiter-8.jpg
    Canon VL2 w/ Jupiter 8

13. That's a nice portrait of young Lilly, Mike! I'll post a few shots from a trial load of Kentmere 100 through a newly-CLA's Konica Autoreflex T with the 57mm Hexanon AR f/1.4 lens. I've posted a pic of the camera over on the "What camera..." thread; there's not much art in these images but I think they serve to demonstrate the fine qualities of this lens. I'll post some more in the weekend if the weather is kind... The developer was the usual PMK Pyro and the film was scanned on an Epson V700 photo using Silverfast SE software.

North Wall

North Wall.jpg

Alone

Alone.jpg

Wickerwork

Wickerwork.jpg

Pashleys

Pashleys.jpg

Corner Cafe

Corner Cafe.jpg

14. Thanks for the compliment Rick and great shots. Those Konica autoreflexes and Hexanon lenses are great performers. I must get my T3 out and run some film through it.

15. So, these seem to have been shot in broad daylight, but you still manage to drag that exquisite tonality out of them. How do you do that? Is it low contrast and underexposure?

I have a T with a 40mm lens that I've been wanting to try out, but it's been too darn hot. I've read that the 40 is extremely sharp. I hope my technique is up to the challenge.

16. davecaz said:
    I don't know about the "exquisite" classification, but I guess it's just a combination of exposure, film and development that governs the tonality. I suspect that limiting one's selection of film and developers down to two or three of each and thus building up a familiarity might have something to do with it; the staining developers seem to suite my style, and I can make subtle alterations in the processing to suit the conditions under which the films were shot. I usually select a film I think might suit the prevailing conditions and load only about 20 shots per cassette, and make sure I finish the film or films before returning home. I've yet to find a 400 ISO film I'm happy with in 35mm format...

I'm sure your technique will be up to the challenge!

bertliang likes this.
  17. The 40mm f 1.8 is indeed an excellent lens. I like using mine on my TCX when I want a compact SLR and lens to take biking.

18. Howdy all. Rick consider the Ultrafine Xtreme 400 film. For the last 5 years or so I find it to have all the characteristics of the Kentmere 400 material. I am "pretty sure" the UFX is rebranded Kentmere. Either type behaves the same in my Obsidian Aqua or 510-Pyro developers. One advantage to the UFX is that both emulsions (100 or 400 ) are also available in 120 format. Bill

19. Thanks, Bill, I just might add few 35mm cassettes of the Kentmere 400 to my next order from the USA, since you seem pretty certain it's the same as the Ultrafine Xtreme 400.

20. Rick- what characteristics are you looking for in an ISO 400 film? Bill might have a good suggestion for the Xtreme 400. I did try a roll of it in Kentmere packaging a while back, but I processed in HC110 so my results are not directly comparable to other ISO 400 films developed in PMK Pyro. I did find, since I've used a fair amount of the Kentmere 100 that the 400 (based on my limited experience) has similar tones. Again, that might vary in PMK. Here in the southern USA the Kentmere film is slightly less expensive than the Ultrafine Extreme. I've got about half of a bulk roll left of the 100 and find it to be a good film and the low price is an added perk.
    My favorite ISO 400 films (at least in HC110) listed in order starting with my favorite are Tri-X, HP5+, TMAX 400, Delta 400, Foma 400 and (again limited experience) Kentmere 400. I have not tried the Bergger 400 yet. Of my list I find the difference between Tri-X and HP5+ to be small enough that I would happily use either one.
    In the in between area of ISO 400 and ISO 100 films I like the Eastman 5222 (aka Double X) film which is listed as an ISO 250 film.