Film Camera Week for August 21

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by Mike Gammill, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Could you share detail of the jig you made. I have made a also. I will take some photos and post them back here.

bertliang likes this.
  2. Here's the jig that I made. It has two levels. The paper is pulled through the bottom level which is slightly wider than the top level. There is a pin that the rolled up backing paper sits in. Its just there to keep the roll from bunching up. The jig, paper and the long roll of new film is placed in the dark bag. Film from the long roll at the top and the paper from the bottom are rolled together as they both come through.

DSCN0507.JPG

bertliang and James Bryant like this.
  3. That jig looks alright Greg. Do you have concerns about the film getting scratched ? That's what was on my mind so I decided to lay the film flat on the backing paper first. I made guides designed to keep the film central on the backing paper and glued the guides to a 1.5mt long board. In room light, I lay the backing paper in between the guides on the board and clamp down the ends of the paper. The guides have 0.3mm X 1.5mm recesses at the bottom of them to allow the backing paper to slip into. The main space left between the guides is the same as the width of the film, the film is then centralized all the way along the backing paper via the guides. With lights turned off, I lay the film in the guides and cut it with a special cutter I made, at exactly one meter. I then start rolling the film with a spool on the end. The backing paper pulls out from the 1.5mm recesses as I'm rolling the film, and when it nears the end, I tape it. I've rolled two films so far and each one took about five minutes to do once the backing paper was laid on the board.

4. 012CMC Coche Antiguo-CanonIIb-CSerenar5cm.jpg Canon IIb. Canon Serenar 5 cm. Kodak Panatomic-X (ISO 32) and a bit of PS :rolleyes:

5. I haven't had any problem with scratching the film, so far at any rate. I have similar jigs for different film sizes. The method that you describe would involve less movement of the film once it's in the jig. I will try and make one like that the next time I roll 116/70mm film.
    I forgot to mention in the last post, that I had to make up a 70mm film hanger for the processor's dip and dunk tank. Apparently the tank is not deep enough for a roll of 116 film.

DSCN3228 (Small).JPG

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    luis triguez and James Bryant like this.
  6. To keep things moving some color images from a few years back that I resized to be a better fit. Camera was a Minolta XE-7 with Fuji Superia 200. Lens noted in description.
    upload_2020-8-23_8-35-33.jpeg
    Eckie's Pond at Mississippi State. Tamron Adaptall 28-200
    upload_2020-8-23_8-36-32.jpeg
    restored pickup truck and fall decorations, same lens
    upload_2020-8-23_8-37-20.jpeg
    road work, same lens
    The 28-200, while a bit large compared to the XR series Adaptalls of same range, is still compact enough for most of my needs. I hope to use it more often.
    upload_2020-8-23_8-39-26.jpeg
    leaves up close, Minolta 100mm f 3.5 MD Macro
    One more
    upload_2020-8-23_8-40-30.jpeg
    old lawn chairs, warm, late afternoon autumn sunlight, also 100mm macro

greg_nixon|2, Moving On, LMar and 7 others like this.
  7. Nikon F, 50mm f1.2 Nikkor, Arista Ultra 100, Diafine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. [​IMG]

Another angle of the apartments that are being torn down in my neighborhood.
    Kochmann Reflex-Korelle II, CZJ 8cm f/2.8 Tessar, Fomapan 100 Classic (HC-110, 1+55, 10min, 20C)

9. Me leaving work today! Nikon F 50mm 1.4, Tmax 100
    Untitled-1webb.jpg

10. 6C0B2355-2E04-4785-897D-3E5FE1E3E942.jpeg
    Circa 1959 Yashica/Nicca YF with 50mm f1.8 Yashinon; Kentmere 400 in D76.