john falkenstine

Have you ever done this? Finished a shoot with my Bronica S2a this morning. I

parked off the road, opened the back of the camera and discovered a STRANGE

looking roll of film, (A black one). I lifted the tab end of the film roll and

now I discovered the outer face of the film roll. I had loaded the film

backward and exposed an entire roll on the paper side. Luckily at my parking

spot there was a garbage can. The film was filed with little ceremony. The next

roll was loaded correctly with care.

Been there. I also lost enormous face with my lab, too, since I was actually clueless enough to take it in for processing. The owner just kept grinning wryly before she straightened me out.Funny it happened to me on a Bronica S I got a few years back. The wasted film was tuition--or so I rationalized my stupidity.

I did it also on my first roll. I was on autopilot and loaded the back like it was a TLR. My brain did not register which way the light will hit the film. Basically overconfidence from using cameras for so long that I was not paying attention to the DIFFERENT film path of a camera with a back.

The wind always has to reverse curl the film to flatten it. People in gerneral have the "paper towel/toilet paper" syndrone, and want the film to wind off the top.

I can recall once years ago, loading an old box camera, and instead of frame numbers on backing paper in that little window. I got pink emulsion!

I did this with my ETR after I had shot several rolls successfully. The problem is that I was still using TLR cameras and these have more conventional (by 35mm standards) loading. Now I have three medium format SLR cameras so I have more practice. When I made the mistake in the ETR I did wind the film back onto a spool to re-shoot the roll. My re-spooling efforts weren't perfact but I managed to get 13 shots instead of 15.

You've all had me worried! I recently bought an ETRSi and it had its first film in it. I looked at the instruction book, Cheung's manual, and DiSante's Medium-format cameras, when I came to load the film. I can't remember which was best on this subject!

Anyway, I've just taken the film out, and it's right. But I'll try not to get complacent!

I'll now await the prints..............

Mervyn

Merv, as you said its not getting complacent, or as in my case as Jeff said going on overconfident autopilot like I was loading a TLR or 35mm SLR. You have to pay attention to what you are doing, especially if you are switching between systems or coming from a different system.

I don't know if the Bronicas have the equivalent of the Hasselblad 12 (M12) back. That back has a "peephole" to see the frame numbers on the paper, it used to advance to frame 1. The side benefit of that is, if I don't see colored paper, I goofed and loaded the film upsidedown. Funny how an older "obsolete" back can be more usefull than a new "automatic" back.