Film and filters for desert landscapes

jet_travis

I'll be heading out to Death Valley in a few weeks. I've had some success in the past shooting desert landscapes using a polarizer and Fuji Velvia. But I'm wondering--does anybody have any other thoughts for desert landscapes? Other films that have worked? ND and other filters? How about warming or Tiffen enhancing filters for dealing with all of those earth tones? Thanks much.

Like any other situation, it is a matter of personal taste. For

years, I shot only Kodachrome with great results, with or without a

warming filter, but often with a polarizer. I tried Velvia a few

times, but saturated desert scenes just didn't look realistic to me.

About a year ago, I switched to E100S for florals, and E100SW for

landscapes. I find those two films just about perfect for my desert

excursions, sometimes with the help of a polarizer, but no other

filter except haze.

Polaarizer, yes. Velvia or EI00SW, yes. Enhancer filter,maybe. This is an area where enhancer filters really do their stuff, as the colors are very subtle. (Provia, no My personal opinion.when shooting this type of scenery with the other two above.) I'm not sure Velvia and enhancing filters really mix. You should probably try it both ways. I had bad luck (unnatural colors when using an enhanceing filter with Lumiere Luminere w/ poloraizer had the best colors, but Velvia was good. Personally I've never had occasion to use ND filters there. You are going at the best time of the year. You will love it!

Try some Kodak E200, particularly if you are shooting at any time other than dusk or dawn. I used some on the back side of Aruba last winter (it sure looks like a desert!) with nice results, particularly in very high-contrast situations towards the middle of the day. If it's overcast, a warming filter improves the results a little. I like Velvia for lots of things, but inherently high-contrast situations are not among them. It would probably work well around dusk or dawn or on overcast days in the desert. Otherwise, the contrasty results won't be very appealing. In fact, I originally tried the E200 after being somewhat disappointed with some Velvia slides of the area around Bagan, Burma. That's definitely a desert in the dry season! Good luck.

Jet,

<p>

I most recently did a shoot of the Great Sand Dunes in southern

Colorado with Kodak's new E100VS...(should be released in early

January) and found it to be very appealing. I don't know if you know

who your Kodak rep is, but if you shoot professionally, you might be

able to snag a few rolls out of him/her. The film is comparable to

Fuji's Velvia...essentially playing it off as that...100 speed Velvia.

I have found that in Death Valley, a warmer tone and better overall

image was made with a more neutral film base, such as E100SW, however,

the sometimes exaggerative color that you are able to bring out with a

Velvia (now, the E100VS) is, I guess you would say, pretty

fascinating. Take a little bit of both, experiment, and enjoy.

Toward the northern end of Death Valley, there are places to PLAY with

filtration. Watch out for the little rattlers...you'll hear

em'...although, another friend of mine who is also a photojournalist,

just came back from there and did NOT see any snakes. Again, be

careful, and have fun.

I was in Death Valley for one day last mid October. It's a great time of year and the heat is bareable. It was clear blue sky, and at mid afternoon everything looks rather dull, the colors are not intense. I would stick with a film offering saturated colors. Watch out also for the shadow side of areas. Your shadows go quickly ito black. I preferred using B/W myself. In the evening, I switched back to color. I use different films with different contrast levels. It basically boils down to what the day has in store for you, what your shooting (low or hig contrast subjects). I would suggest take a selection of film, you never no. But I found my day went best with just B/W