Greetings,

I'm off for a 7 day cruise, and would like any advice that you could

pass along to a rookie for photo's down in the Carribean. I've

already picked up a few rolls of the usual stuff, (100 for daylight,

400 for other) but I was interested in trying something to really

bring out the colors of the area. Could someone recommed one of the

new color saturation films, or point me in the right diretion.

I'm using my old, but trusted Canon T-70 manual camera if this

information helps.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I'm assuming you want negative film, rather than slide film. If not, disregard the following...

To get nice prints, the most important thing is to shoot slow speed film (asa 100 or 160) and take it to a pro lab. The film choice won't matter much if the printing stinks. (Anywhere should do a decent job printing Kodak Gold 100, but if you shoot anything else, *definitely* go to a pro lab.)

For bright carribean colors I often do use Kodak Gold 100. If you want to try something fancier try Kodak Portra 160VC ("Vibrant Color") or 160UC ("Ultra Color"). If you want to go for even brighter, more saturated (some say too saturated) colors, try Agfa Ultra 100. All can be ordered as "import" film from B&H for less than the film at your local store.

Any of these slow films in your old manual camera should blow away the results of your point-and-shoot and digi-point-and-shoot toting co-cruisers.

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!

I took a very simular cruise last year and found I got the best results from 2 films. Fuji NPZ for night and evening. The local clutures have lots of bright colors that make great night time photography. Also I got outstanding results form Fuji NPC. The extra contrast that the npc provides is really nice in these situations. Both film are available in 135-36. Happy shooting

Who has been telling you that you need to slavishly tame the environment to a standard tonality? Just look at brochures of the Caribbean. They do not show overcast misty mountains, they show brutal light and lots of colour!