Fill Flash with SB-800 & Nikon F5

teneson

<p>I will be shooting outdoor festivals in daylight, using Tri-X film at 400 iso. After reading the SB-800 manual, I am even more unsure as to what settings to use for fill-lighting.<br>

Is it safe to just use 3D TTL metering and let the camera and flash talk to each other to determine the correct exposure and flash output?<br>

I don't want to run through 30 rolls in a day's shoot and find out they're all whited out.<br>

Thank you;</p>

<p>Mark-B</p>

Mark a test roll or two is in order here. You are on the right track, my solution is to shoot in manual mode and use TTL. Set the flash to expose about a stop under the correct exposure and start shooting. As long as the flash is a stop under your fill will look good in all but the deepest shade. Shooting in an auto mode should work as well, I just tend to stay in manual most of the time.

Rick H.

<p>Not sure I understand the significance of rear sinc in daylight shooting. I thought the effects of rear sinc were only really apparent when shooting with a slow shutter speed. (Daylight with 400 speed film- probably not)</p>

<p>Use 3d TTL setting on the flash, and matrix metering on the camera and I think you will be fine. </p>

<p>The whole point of 3d TTL is to provide "Balanced Fill Flash". I think the system works well as advertised. </p>

<p>Shoot a roll or two for test and let us know what you find.</p>