File Transfer

dallasmcvickerphotography

<p >Hello All,</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Last evening I attempted to transfer, the images on my SanDisk Mem Card from my D40. The battery was low, and although this has never been an issue before, I thought that the failure to transfer images may have been from that. After Charging the battery and shooting a few more images today, I attempted to transfer images with Picture Project again, and again it will not. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >When I open the transfer menu with the camera attached via USB cable the card is read, and is visible in PP but it will not allow me to transfer them. The status says "0 of 0 photos selected to transfer"</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I have:</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Formatted the disk-NO Change</p>

<p >Tried another USB Port-NO Change</p>

<p >Rebooted-NO Change</p>

<p >Downloaded/Installed latest PP Software-NO Change</p>

<p >Tried using the mem card slot on computer-NO Change</p>

<p > </p>

<p >What do you guys think could be the issue? Maybe this is just the reason I need to upgrade! :) I see the D200 is at a good price.....</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Also is there a free software that allows file transfers and basic editing that is better? by basic editing I mean croping/resizing/maybe simple adjustments...etc out there?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks in Advance,</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Dallas </p>

<p>You've probably corrupted the file system on that card, and can use any of several recovery utilities to fetch what's still there (likely, most or all of the data). <br /><br />From now on, give serious thought to using a simple card reader (like the one on your PC, or an external one). You do <em>not</em> need any special software or utility, ever, to simply copy the files off your card and onto your computer's disk drive(s). When you mount the memory card in a reader, it will appear on your machine as another drive letter. Just copy/paste the files to your desired destination. Then do it again, somewhere else, so that you have backups.<br /><br />Then, once you're quite positive that you have more than one copy of your data, use your computer's proper method to remove the card from the reader (don't just pull it out!), and THEN put it back in the camera. Use the camera's built-in feature to re-format the card, so that it's a nice, clean slate that the camera can properly use.<br /><br />As for manipulating the images once you have your working copies of them... try Google's free Picasa program. </p>

<p>Just as Matt has stated. I formatted a card in my Nikon D80 and then gave it to a friend to use in her new Panosonic, forgetting of course to reformatt. I tried to download using a card reader in all my usual ways with no luck. Two nights ago I downloaded Picasa 3 just to see what it does...which opened the files immediately! Best to ya, Ray</p>

<p>Well, here is what I got from Nikon Service...<br>

"Hi Dallas<br /><br />Thanks for using Nikon products<br /><br />The reason is because we no longer support Picture Project.What We can recommend you to do is to migrate to Nikon transfer and View NX softwares here you have the links<br />Hope this helps<br /><br />Thanks<br />Jacob.-"<br>

Well it doesn't. I sent a reply back to Jacob<br>

Matt, thank you but I do not believe that the card itself is the issue. If I put it in the card reader on my computer, I am able to copy the images from the card and then eject it. It just seems as if the software started acting up.<br>

Any other thoughts?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Dallas</p>

<p>you may want to reinstall PP, if you're absolutely wedded to it. but please, consider using a card reader <em>and</em> switching to ViewNX... or Picasa. nikon discontinued PP for a reason -- it isn't very good -- and provides a better, free alternative. what is it about free and better that you're hesitant about?</p>