file transfer

jeremy_dando

Hi Gang;

What is the "best" method for transfer images from the camera to my computer?

Cable or removing the CF card? I can plug the cable into a USB 1 port on the

computer or remove the card and plug it into an Epson RX 620 printer with card

reader slot (also USB 1 to the computer).

Thanks in advance,

jeremy

I don't like taking the CF card in and out. I just connect the USB cable and kickoff the download. May take a couple minutes but I have plenty to do while its transfering the files. Like browsing PN! If I fill up a CF card and swap it out during a session, then it goes in the card reader.

Card readers are cheap and fast. I use a firewire model.

William Kahn has a good point - USB 1.0 isn't that fast. It may be a _bit_ faster via the

card, but perhaps not all that much.

Since I shoot a 5D in RAW mode, my transfers often are measured in GB rather than MB.

The firewire reader is quite fast (as would be a USB 2.0 reader) but I still tend to start the

transfer and then go doing something else for a few minutes.

Dan

<p>Indeed, unless you have all day to wait (or only a couple of images to download), you need better than USB 1. Add a USB 2 card to your computer, and get a card reader. Card readers generally offer less hassle and better performance than plugging in the camera; they free you from having to use special drivers or programs to access the images; and they don't consume power from the camera's battery.</p>

<p>I only have experience at using the card reader in one printer (a model from a different manufacturer than yours) so I can't say in general that card readers in printers suck as a way of transferring images ... but the card reader in my printer absolutely sucks as a way of transferring images. It might be OK for printing directly from the card (which I never do; I edit all my images) but it's glacially slow at file transfers.</p>

<p>Firewire is an alternative. It's fast. It's common in the Mac world but not in the PC world; USB 2 is far more common in PCs and PC-oriented peripherals, and so you'll generally get more bang for your buck from USB 2 on a PC (since you'll likely use it for a number of other peripherals as well). Plus, you'll have more selection of card readers etc. to buy; for instance, I looked at one major online vendor of computer parts, and of their 45 flash card readers, I found exactly two which mentioned Firewire.</p>