Fiber visible in D300 viewfinder

rarmstrong

<p>I have had my D300 for just over a year. It has performed flawlessly with nearly 10,000 shutter releases. Just recently I noticed a fiber in the upper left corner of the viewfinder, just outside of the metering zone. I cleaned the viewfinder lens...the fiber doesn't move. It is there with all lens changes. It does not effect the images. There is nothing on the image that would suggest that it has anything to do with the sensor. So far, it just seems like an annoyance. But, I'm a bit concerned about how it got there and if that indicates some problem with sealing or something coming up that I should be concerned about. Has anyone else had this happen? Should I worry about it or just ignore it as it doesn't effect the image capture?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Dick</p>

<p>It's probably up against the bottom of the prism (just above the mirror). When looking for it remember don't look for it in the upper left, look for it at the lower right as you're looking at a reversed image in the viewfinder. It's a very common problem, not indicitive of a camera problem.</p>

<p>Dick, those things seem to come and go all the time but generally they are harmless unless they show up in the photo. They show up in my D300 from time to time but I ignore them. Dust and fibers are everywhere and of course more likely to get inside if you change lenses frequently, have windy/dusty conditions, etc. but really, they can happen anywhere.</p>

<p>You might try using a blower brush on the inside, with and without the mirror up to see if you can get it to move but I wouldn't worry about it unless it is in the photo.</p>

<p>Thanks guys! That is a relief! This is my first DSLR and it's been a precious camera and quite dependable. I just didn't want to miss a problem that could have gotten worse if I ignored it. I really appreciate your quick response!<br>

Regards,<br>

Dick</p>

<p>richard, the main thing i would suggest is not to worry about it. i fooled around trying to remove something like that on my D700, and was afraid i'd done some serious damage. it was a lot more stressful in the long run than just leaving it alone. so save yourself the aggravation.</p>

<p>Blowing won't help much if the lint is between the ground glass and the prism. (The only place you can see lint is on the GG or the prism). While a nuisance, it does not affect the image.</p>

<p>It is fairly easy to remove the viewing screen from most Nikon cameras, even those which do not have a removeable prism. The screen is plastic and easily scratched. Once removed, it is easy to clean the screen (try brushing or blowing only), and to blow off the base of the prism. Low-end cameras use mirrors rather than a prism, but probably have a glass base with the illuminated focusing spots. You probably can't see dust inside the viewfinder (or penta-mirror).</p>

<p>While you're at it, clean the inside of the mirror box thoroughly, mirror up and down. Otherwise you will get lint on the screen almost immediately. Brush it first, then use a blower or canned air. Don't touch the mirror surface with anything! Don't use canned air on the shutter or mirror! Keep the canned air as near vertical as possible and use short bursts.</p>