Feisol Tripod Recommendation

wendell_kelly

I currently carry a Tachihara 4x5 camera in a backpack for landscape photography. My metal tripod is becoming heavier every day and I'd like to purchase a lighter weight tripod and tripod head. I'm especially considering the Feisol equipment.

I ask forum members which Feisol tripods they have found useful with a Tachihara. I'm also interested in a lightweight tripod head, any type if it is useable. Cost is a consideration here.

Thanks in advance.

<p>I use the 3441 with the Feisol CB-30 ballhead for 4x5 when I'm backpacking or walking any distance. Incredibly light and, because it has 4 segments ... very small when folded. My camera is a Gowland Pocket View which is considerably light than a Tachihara but I've also used Crown and Speed Graphics and even a wood whole plate camera on the same set-up ... it works fine for the Crown but the heavier Speed and Whole Plate are pushing it's limits .. it works but it is not exactly ideal ... but the weight savings makes it easier to put up with the compromises. [i use the much more robust Feisol 3472 for whole plate and 8x10 field cameras and love it also.]</p>

<p>The 3441 tripod is plenty sturdy for 4x5 for virtually all shooting ... especially with the center hook holding my day pack. If I were to do it over again I'd get the same tripod but move up a little in size for the ball head.</p>

<p>The 3301 Sheldon mentioned above that is for sale is a heck of a deal ... as long as the extra folded length works for your packing gear. And, it would likely be a little more rigid than the 3441 because it has one less extension.</p>

<p>Hi.<br>

I would like to suggest a total different approach: Berlebach wood tripods.<br>

Wood is much lighter that metal, but it still has some mass to prevent the elevation of baricenter: a view camera is very heavy and tends to feel every air breath etc. With carbon you should at least apply Adams' trick: tight rope held by foot. Another advantage of wood is that it does not become a frying pan under the sun, or a sticky ice when below zero... think about it. Cheers, Massimo</p>

<p>I use a Feisol CT3401 with a Kirk BH3 Head. I really couldn't be happier with it. I use it with both my Tachi and a Hasselblad and it is solid and light. I got the 4 section because it can fit into a carry on, but I imagine the 3 section would be better if packing it is not a problem</p>

<p>I have a Feisol CT-3401 (and a Ries J100 that is great) that I use with a Chamonix 045n-1, which is similar in weight to a Tachihara. The CT-3401 will hold a lightweight 4x5 with no problem and would be a good choice for hiking. If you want a tripod that will only be used for hiking the 3401 at 1.36 kg / 2.99 lbs is an excellent choice. In windy conditions I sometimes wish I had gotten the larger Feisol, the CT-3371, which would probably make a better all-around tripod for 4x5 than the CT-3401. But for hiking you can't get much better than the CT-3401, unless you look at the more expensive Gitzo, which have a slightly better leg locking mechanism. An Arca Swiss type ball head like the Arca Swiss, Markin, Kirk, is a good match for the Feisol tripod legs. </p>

<p>You may want to consider leg lock angles - the Feisol has preset angles - a Reis has no presets, you can lock it into any angle you want. A Berlebach has presets. Personally, I don't like preset angle locks and have a Ries that I use for that reason. Also, some Feisol's have two preset angles, some have three - which is something to consider if picking one of their models.</p>

<p>I agree with Bob that the Ries tripod's lack of leg lock detents make if very easy to level, but Wendell asked about a lightweight tripod for backpacking and none of the Ries tripods can be considered "lightweight" by any stretch of the imagination. I love my Ries J100 and use it regularly. The freedom to set the leg angles, and the ability to do so without bending down to change the leg height, makes the Ries a snap to level. But at 3.6 kg / 8 lb, without a head, the J100 is heavy. </p>

<p>I have been using my Feisol for 3-4 years without a single problem. At 1.36 kg / 2.99 lb my CT-3401 is very light, but will support a 4x5 wood field like a Tachihara easily. To shave off more weight, it's center column can be removed as Feisol includes the flat plate hardware to do so. Keep in mind that removing the center column will make it impossible to hang a camera bag under the tripod in windy conditions. But for LF in particular, a center column is more of a hinderance than a help. Unlike the Gitzo, the center column will occasionally twist when you don't want it to. Good luck.</p>

<p>" A Berlebach has presets"<br>

Some Berlebach tripods have presets. The same tripods are also available without presets, or you could take the one with presets, set it for the widest leg spread and then you have removed the presets. To control the leg angles then there are chain hooks on each leg that you can hook a chain or a string to to limit the spread.<br>

Of course any tripod with presets would work the same way when you set the legs for the widest spread so this is not a valid point when considering a tripod.</p>