Feelings about the DA 70 f2.4 Limited and a question about the other DA Limiteds

henkc

<p>I've now had the DA 70 f2.4 Limited for about a month and it is rapidly becoming a firm favourite of mine. This lens has some quite endearing qualities and produces fantastic image quality.<br>

Now for the question. Are the other DA Limiteds as good? I've seen good reviews of the 21 and the 40, while the 15 gets raved about in some places and some pretty mediocre reviews in others.</p>

<p>Glad to hear you are enjoying the DA 70.<br>

I needed a lens that would also work with my film cameras, so I went with the FA 77/1.8. It covers the full 35mm frame, and has an aperture ring so it even works on my manual-focus cameras. The image quality is great (to be expected, with the typical Pentax colour rendering, smooth bokeh and crisp contrast) but the tactile quality of a Limited Pentax lens is sublime.<br>

I saw a quick poll somewhere that rated the 15mm Limited as Pentax users' most-desired lens. It's definitely on my list :-)</p>

<p>A can't say enough good things about the da15. I'm also a big fan of the 40. I don't have a 70 but based on my experiences I bet all of these lovely Limiteds are of similar caliber. The DA 70 is on my wish list and if I just happened across a great deal on one it would be tough to resist.</p>

<p>Henk,<br>

All the DA Ltd lenses are special and contributes to what makes Pentax unique. My comments on the ones I have:<br>

15mm--excellent lens; seems to bring extra-rich color to the scene, something that surprises me still. A super wide angle at that size is remarkable. No complaints optically. Great for urban and backcountry use.<br>

21mm--very valuable lens at a near ideal focal length. Size is great for mobility, just slip in pocket. The optics some folks feel are a little below the others, but correction in Lightroom make this a non-issue. This is my favorite lens to pull out to open the eyes of my non-Pentax shooting compadres--which means everyone else.<br>

35mm macro--still one of my favorites because it is versatile, small, and optically superb. Like it so much I purchased the Tokina equivalent for my Canon 7D. Still use the Pentax too.<br>

70mm--Seems to render scenes most artfully of all my lenses. Just about perfect, I just wish I shot at this focal length more frequently.</p>

<p>I tend to take all of these on outdoor adventures along with the old 135mm M lens which is very small too. I've used the DA 40mm Ltd, and think it is excellent, but don't need it.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>I own the DA 15 and the DA 21. The DA 21 is the default lens on my camera. I loved my FA 35 f2.0 when it was on my ZX-5n, and now I love the comparable FOV that the DA 21 gives on my K-7. It stays on my camera unless I know I need something else.<br>

I agonized about purchasing the DA 15 because my research indicated that it was not as sharp at the wide apertures as, say, the Pentax 12-24. However, what made me decide to buy it was that I never wanted to carry my FA*24 f2.0 because it is so heavy, and the Pentax 12-24 is about the same tonnage. That was a great decision. I don't hesitate to carry the DA 15 if I think I may need it, and it has turned out some excellent shots. My studies confirm the softness in the corners at f4.0 on this lens, but f5.6 and on are more than suitable for my needs.<br>

BTW: my first DA 15 was a lemon -- brutally soft wide open -- so I exchanged it for the one I have now and could not be happier.</p>

<p>I found the DA40 and 70 the best of the DA limiteds, with the 35 close behind. I have not used the DA 15 or FA 77, but I expect both are quite good as per reports. My DA 21 is a notch below the other limiteds I have used, it is pretty soft wide open. Color and contrast are good, though, and stopped down it is nice. I may have a sub-par copy. I found the FA 31 to be a little larger than I wanted, and too expensive, but with nice IQ. And I love the 43.</p>

<p>I only have the DA15 and I don't find it as sharp as I would like it to be.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I found the DA40 and 70 the best of the DA limiteds, with the 35 close behind.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is the impression I also got from reading user feedback and lens reviews.</p>

<p>I've been really pleased with my 21mm. The angle of view is great for me. The build is super tight and the square lens hood is the coolest. I have just a few weeks experience, and I haven't gone out of my way to provoke flair or barrel distortion, etc. But for sure it's pretty sharp. I have the 70mm too, and it's brilliant. </p>

<p>The FA Limiteds are on a different planet. I have not yet used lenses that render the same appealing way, though some say the more expensive Leica's compare. I doubt it. Those I have used deliver a rather "old style" rendering, like the better Takumars (that are cheaper by an order of magnitude). It might hurt to say it, but I can get that look with a preset. I can't get the look of the FA Limiteds without buying one. (Ditto Contax, Zeiss.)</p>

<p>There are two downsides to the FA Limiteds. First, necessary compromises were made for AF. Zeiss and Takumars have significantly better manual focus feel. Second, they are not APO designs and hence suffer from CA and purple fringing. But as photographers we can attempt to avoid the conditions that exacerbate these aberrations.</p>

<p>The DA Limiteds are also very good, though I don't currently own any since I haven't found any indispensable. In my limited (ahem) experience the DA70 and DA35 are the best of the lot, though the DA40 is no slouch. I personally find the DA12-24 about a thousand times more versatile than the DA15. Plus I think it renders nicer than the DA21.</p>

<p>However I have not actually used the DA15 or DA21 so this conclusion is based second-hand data, that is, viewing thousands of images. I simply stop at every picture that makes me go "wow" (for reasons to do with rendering, not subject or composition) and then check out what lens was used. The DA35 and DA70 produce a number of these "wow" experiences.</p>

<p>Of course it does come down to your favourite angles of view. I got rid of the amazing DA35 Limited because I simply don't like that FOV and always preferred to use the FA43.</p>

<p>The DA35 has insane micro-contrast and detail. Nice bokeh, pleasant "scientific" rendering. Plus it's a very useful pseudo-macro. OK, it's a true macro but you can't normally get that close to your subject.</p>

<p><a title="Bee Home 2 by robinparmar, on Flickr" href=" Bee Home 2 src="http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3265/2784943615_8617795a6b_o.jpg" alt="Bee Home 2" width="533" height="800" /></a></p>

<p>I have DA15, DA21, FA43, and DA70. I think you're more likely to appreciate the difference between these and zooms on the longer focal lengths -- the FA43 is quite special as well but I suspect the DA40 isn't too far off, especially since FA43 benefits from stopping it down slightly. I like the quick-shift capability on the DA limiteds as well.</p>

<p>One of my favorite DA21 images (at f/6.3):<br>

<a title="2009 Bronx Botanical Garden Kiku by 57th St. Incident, on Flickr" href=" 2009 Bronx Botanical Garden Kiku src="http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4091/4994614667_0a0d9d51c6_z.jpg" alt="2009 Bronx Botanical Garden Kiku" width="640" height="425" /></a></p>

<p>before: 15, 21, 31, 35, 40, 43, 70, 77<br /><br /> now: 15, 35, 43, 77<br /><br /> missing the most: 21<br />missing the least: 31<br />like the most: 77<br />use the most: 35<br />best flare control: 15<br />best color: 77, 31, 43 -- the FA<br />best value: 70 and 40<br /> <br /><br /> All are very special and unique. The FA limited does better in color and have a deeper and magical tone that is hard to describe.</p>

<p>Lovely shot, Andrew. I like it when people show me up in such a beautiful way. Cheers!</p>

<p>"The FA limited does better in color and have a deeper and magical tone that is hard to describe."</p>

<p>Not hard at all, Hin. We call it "faery dust". ;-)</p>

<p>Robin, that certainly wasn't my goal. I also own the more versatile DA 12-24/4 and think a lot of Pentaxians would probably be better served by the zoom vs. the priceyDA21 + DA15. For me though, the 12-24 often stays home because it's relatively bulky, plus I think Pentax made great choices for focal lengths for the 15 and 21mm.</p>

<p>Hey, Andrew, in my mind it's a good thing to be challenged in a nice way. I agree as well about the wide angle choices; it's good we have them. For me I would tend to use 24mm as much as 12mm and so the range is a nice one to have in one lens. Basically, it's the only zoom I use.</p>

<p>I recently travelled with a kit consisting of the DA70, FA35 and a Sigma 10-20. I then travelled around with a big bag of kit and found that the DA16-45 was getting a lot of use. For fairy dust, I really like the M28mm f3.5.</p>

I have the DA70 first, and then I

acquired the DA21. Comparatively

speaking I was quite disappointed with

my DA21. The 70 is phenomenal in

terms of feeling (the MF ring), iq across

all apertures. The 21 leaves me with a

slightly sour aftertaste. It's not

particularly fast and despite this the

image quality is disappointing wide

open. The copy I have always

misfocuses using phase detect. Yikes,

maybe I got a bad copy but I don't get

the same good feeling I get when I use

my DA70.

<p>I have the 70, 40, 21 and 15 limiteds and they are all fantastic.<br>

I shoot weddings with the 70mm and 21mm on k5's and I find they cover my visual needs well for 95% of the day.<br>

With my landscape work now I find I mainly use the 15mm and 40mm.<br>

I love their size their sharpness and overall mtf.<br>

The 70mm would probably be my favourite with great bokeh, sharp in focus areas and I don't have any issues with chromatic aberation (purple fringing) that other people have mentioned.<br>

Next in a tie would be the 40mm and 15mm. Both vastly different of course but both sensational lenses. The 40mm is so small, light, unobtrusive, but sharp, good mtf, great walk around lens. The 15mm is a fantastic wide angle with little distortion (for a wide angle) and great sharpness nearly right to the edge.<br>

Some would argue the 21mm is probably the most versatile and it does perform well but not quite as well as the other three. It just seems compromised a little. Not super sharp, more lens distortion than the 15mm, and a butt ugly lens hood. A little critical but for a limited I think its the least perfect of the bunch. Great performance with minimal lens flare "shooting into the sun with sun in shot" though I should add.<br>

Talking primes I also regularly use my FA 50mm f1.4 and FA 100mm f2.8 and they are also brilliant.<br>

In short, if you love the 70mm, then I would buy the 40mm next. Its simply the 70mm little brother. Maybe not quite as buttery smooth in bokeh though which is expected in a shorter focal length lens.<br>

If you want a wide angle then I'd go the 15mm over the 21mm first. </p>