Feeling totally overwhelmed by competitors....where do I start?

I feel completely overwhelmed, and totally discouraged.

Here's the backstory:

I quit my teaching job when I got pregnant, so I could be a stay-at-home mom. I decided I would really like to do

photography to keep my brain active and explore the artsy part of me that has been dormant since college.

I took a 4-day workshop one year ago, for which I probably paid way too much, but it at least got me started in a

direction.

For a while, I was feeling pretty good about things, but I was still taking things pretty slowly, what with a newborn

and all.

Now, all of a sudden, it seems like our market has been flooded with other newbies (MWACs -Moms-with-a-camera--

another photographer friend calls them) who are direct competition with me, and my little business has dried up

almost completely....everyone is out to be cheaper than the next, etc. I have NO MONEY right now, because

everything has dried up.

So, what do I do? I need a direction. My stuff isn't all that great, I don't think--just average at best--but people who

are not even as good as me, are charging MORE, and getting business. So WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!

And more importantly, how do I FIX IT?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a Niche and concentrate on it. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. I'm not sure what type of work you are doing, but if it's portraits, try weddings, if it's weddings, try editing, if it's editing, try stock, if it's stock, try sports etc etc.

"My stuff isn't all that great, I don't think--just average at best--but people who are not even as good as me, are charging

MORE, and getting business. So WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!"

1st thing! Change that attitude why would I or anybody hire you with that attitude. My stuff aint that bad but it is little better than

the Mom down the street.

2nd don't worry about the competition worry about yourself. Improve your skill set, develop you technique and people

skills.

Charge a premium and be better than competition. Move the business out of your home and into an office. Think high

end customer service. Here is a little secret, there has always been and there will always will be Moms with cameras so

get out of that market. Design a Marketing and branding campaign. Target high end customers, and give high quality

images and customer service.

I'm confused... I don't think you have a website. You've only been doing photography for a year and how are you different

from MWAC? Cultivate your skills through passion. Shoot for a local paper, shoot for your kids' school, shoot a lot of

landscapes and family pictures and practice different techniques and lighting. Make sure you have the equipment to

produce high end product. Then you will have something to market and justify high end prices. Photography business is all

about referrals and customer service. You add each client to your newsletter subscription and stay in touch. I offer a 20%

reduction in sitting fee for any referrals.

A classified ad will be a good start.

And practice, a lot, do tons for free, but use that as advertisement. Look like a pro and carry your business cards.

But if you want to make money, weddings are the way to go. Advertise yourself as a bargain wedding photographer and after you have a bunch under your belt advertise yourself as an experienced wedding photographer.

Good luck.

You don't have the basic skills to sell images and you started a business? Perhaps you should walk before you try to run. You will need to develop your skills before attempting to charge anyone for images. Right now, you are worse than the lowballer because you may not be capable of delivering no matter the rate.

You're exactly right, Paul--at this point, I AM just another MWAC, and my struggle is how to distinguish myself from

the pack, and how to market to high-end clients, with NO marketing skills, and even less money! (and did I mention,

confidence circling the drain as we speak?!) I do have a nominal website, but I think it looks crappy.

www.lilypicketlane.com. I'm trying to do it myself, because again, no money. So, all advice (on ANY aspect of

things) is greatly appreciated.

I was soooo discouraged today, when I discovered that a chick that had scheduled an appt and then cancelled, used

another local MWAC whose work is (in my self-centered opinion) not as good as mine, and she charges MORE.

She was showing the pictures off on the mommies discussion board, and was thrilled with them. Sigh. Obviously, I

am CLEARLY doing something (or lots of things) wrong...

I have a Nikon D80, which was the most I could afford (and I am still paying for it) and I have a Nikon 24-120 f3.5/5.6

lens. I do have a small studio space in my husband's office, but no sign yet. (again, $)

I have been offering a free 8x10 for referrals, but that's only worked twice so far.

Am I too impatient? Am I expecting too much success too early in the game?

Thanks everyone, for your comments. They are very, very much appreciated.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized. - Sun Tzu

Liz, Do you explain to a customer that you have a Nikon D80, which was the most you could afford? When meeting with a

client are you dressed professionally? Is your studio neat and uncluttered? When talking to a client are you telling what you

can't do for them or what you can do for them?

You ca be a great photographer but if give off negative vibes, or lack confidence your clients will doubt you and go some

where else, feel disappointed in your work.

Hi Liz (and All):

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling down -- I really am. If I can make any suggestion, I would say that first and foremost, you need to pull

yourself up and out of this funk. As cheesy as it sounds, attitude DOES determine altitude.

I want to offer a story of something similar I recently saw. A new photography studio just opened in my town. The woman has an LCD

propped in the storefront window with a revolving carrousel of images -- to put it tactfully, they're "not there yet" in terms of quality.

Through a bit of grapevine investigation, I learned that she does not yet have a web site, no "fluff" or even basic literature with pricing,

and not even business cards. The 1,500 retail space (which goes for about $2,000 / month) has nothing in it except a chair, a desk and

computer, and her lighting / backdrop against the back wall. It looks totally unfinished. She just left another studio as an ASSISTANT

and is charging $45 per session (limited time only and $100 or so once she gets going). I have no idea on the print prices. YIKES!

Clearly, she has NO IDEA what she's gotten into. She is totally running before she walks. I give her six months. The worst thing is

that she'll probably give up and be totally heartbroken and discouraged, which is very sad.

Here's what I think (hold the sugar): your web site needs work -- a lot of work. This is your storefront -- spend the money and do a bang

up job!

Your work is in its infancy. That's okay. Just keep going and you'll crank it up over time. None of us was born knowing this stuff.

You have to love running a business more than taking pictures. I firmly believe this. I could make a living selling widgets and that's

what I attribute to my success (and I DO love taking pictures).

Word-of-mouth is great and takes time (a couple of years at least). I disagree with some of the posters here -- I say go high -- no

bargains. People value what they pay for and the "cheap-o" clients only refer other "cheap-o" clients. I think it's a lot harder to UP your

prices and cut out a significant portion of your clientele than to go slowly with people who will pay what you want. I only work at the top

of the scale -- "booked" for me means 2 or 3 sessions a week. My average sale is $1,500 per pop. You can do the math. I have a

baby. A life. A house. A husband. Friends. I like to go out on Friday nights. I am not a slave to my business and don't want to

compete with Walmart for volume. I'll never win. You can make your decision on price-point and volume. I hate weddings and family /

group portraits so I don't do them. I do children and commercial. That's it. The rest I refer out.

Hang in there. Clearly, you're having a very DOWN day. We've all had MANY MANY of them (I promise -- ask my husband how many

times I've declared "I'M QUITTING!"). Go have a drink (or 4), a good chick flick, a good night's sleep, and then start fresh tomorrow.

I truly wish you the best. :)

Karen Lippowiths

"do tons for free"

Your reputation as the give away photographer will grow exponentially if you do this. Even if you switch to weddings as suggested, you will be expected to work for peanuts. Some may say 'promotional' work is justifiable in limited situations. That's a whole other discussion. As to doing "tons for free", it would be a terrible mistake.

Hi Liz,

Lot's of good suggestions here... And some conflicting ideas... At least they might appear so on the surface.

On the one hand, develop a niche. On the other hand, branch out and try new things, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Huh? Both ideas have merit, but how is possible to do both?

Well, think about your specialization, what you love to do, and then think vertically within it.

Let me give you an example. Let's just say you love to take photos of cats, and are good at it, and have lots of good examples to show. Great, now come the vertical thinking, which is figuring out ways to make more money each and every time you press the shutter button, rather than frantically trying to press the shutter much more often. Or, instead of pointing your lens at other things that don't interest you.

Think of other ways that the photos you are taking can have more value to yourself and to your customers.

Back to the cat example (which I used because I can illustrate it with a real life example)... Go to www.chanan.com. Richard is "the man" when it comes to cat photos. Why? Well, 30 years taking them is one reason. But he's also been clever about his marketing, and very consistent.

His website isn't sophisticated or fancy, but does the job well and spells out what he does thoroughly.

One thing, he gets releases for all his photos, so he can sell them for stock. He keeps his session fees and print prices low in order to generate more business and get more photos. He makes his money on resale of the images, and probably has the most comprehensive collection of high breed cats on the planet.

Another thing, every year he produces a cat calendar that is a fund-raiser for the Cat Fanciers of America. He donates all the profits to them, and that certainly encourages members to buy his calendar (which sold for only $15 the last time I looked).

But, don't you think this also drives people to his doorstep, in hopes that their cat will end up in the calendar the next year?

Watching Richard work a big cat show is amazing. He's usually there by himself, only taking a break from his shooting every so often to off-load his images onto a laptop computer. People are lined up waiting to get photos taken. Others are lined up to review the photos on the laptop and write out their own print orders and attach a check as payment!

What's really even more astounding is that the competition is there occupying two or three times as much space, with 6 or 8 people, tons more equipment... and they are begging for business, while Richard has more than he can handle practically non-stop.

Does he worry about the competition? Probably not. He just does his best, consistently, year in and year out, and keeps working his plan.

Has he had rocky times? He didn't have time to chat at the show where I met him, so I really can't say for sure. But, I bet he did, especially early on. Still, he found his way through it, came up with some simple but effective ways to leverage his work for added value and make his services all that more desirable to his customers (who are now both the cat breeders/owners and anyone who buys usage rights to his photos).

Note that Richard does not appear to work with stock agencies. He keeps closer control on how his images are used than is possible with many stock agencies, where you don't even know who bought usage of your image and exactly how they will be using it, until long after the deal is done.

Look for other business models to adapt to your situation. Take a class or read a book on marketing or other business aspects. These are some ways you will ultimately rise above your competition and succeed.

Note, I do happen to give away a few prints and even some image usage...But the prints are usually in exchange for a signed release (occasionally I'll sponsor an event and offer a print as a prize). And, the image usage is in support of organizers who hire me and give me access. What's good for them is good for me, if my images can help them grow and expand, it will also grow and expand my business. So, I really am getting good value for my prints and usage. I see this as different from "giving it away" or doing "tons for free".

Hang in there and remember it's 80 or 90% business savvy, 10 or 20% photographic talent when you are a working photographer.

Karen gave some excellent advice, I'd take it to heart if I were you.

You need to ask yourself a few questions. 1) Do you want to be a MWAC or a professional? 2) What do you want to specialize in? 3) How are you going to get there?

The market has been flooded with MWAC's since digital SLR's became more affordable. You need to stand out above the crowd, AND you need to have business savvy.Without business smarts, you could be the best photographer around and still fail as a business.

If you want to be a professional, you need to act like one. Get yourself a decent website, get some business cards printed up, charge professional prices. You can buy a web template for not that much, and business cards are cheap. Your prices are MWAC prices - and the people that are attracted to those prices don't care about your photography or style, they just want the lowest prices they can get. And if the mom down the street is charging less than you, well, they'll have no problem going to her.

You said you've been doing this for a year? Yes, I do think you are expecting too much too soon. Do you know your camera inside and out? Do you know how to shoot in manual? Do you know how to deal with all different lighting situations (direct sunlight, shade, backlit, indoor, window, fill flash, etc)? Can you get 20-30 different photos from each session that are each great photos? If not, take a step back to learn all this. If you flub up a session your reputation with that client will go down the drain. A dissatisfied customer will tell 10 people about their experience, a satisfied customer will tell 2 or 3.

What do you want to specialize in? Families, kids, weddings, natural light, studio? Pick one or two areas and study them, practice them, breath them until you feel confident to charge the high prices that will earn you respect, get you the right clients, and put you above the MWAC's.

Have you done any sort of a business plan? Have you really thought about how much you need to invest in the business, and how much you need to charge to get that investment back, AND earn a profit? From looking at your prices, you haven't really done this yet.

Last, practice practice practice. Practice on your family members and friends until you are so good that you can charge professional prices. There are simply no shortcuts for the work and sweat it takes to get really good at your craft.Take some business classes. They offer them for free at your local Small Business Administration, and many counties and cities offer free or cheap classes as well. Don't put the cart before the horse, or you are just setting yourself up to fail.

There is so much more to running a successful business than deciding to take photos and charge for them.

I agree with Alan's advice to a certain extent. The problem is that the cat example is a rather small niche and much easier

to break into than the general portrait niche. The point Karen made is exactly on: "You have to love running a business

more than taking pictures." I am also a firm believer that finding a niche is good for business, but not so good for

cultivating skills. Skills are cultivated by constant practice. And the only way I know this is to shoot all the time. The best

way to do this is to hook up with a small local paper and shoot everything you can. When you shoot 50K images a year,

then you instinctively learn what works and what doesn't and you will gain the confidence you so desperately are searching

for.

I don't know much about being a photographer, but I do know a bit about business in general.

1) Be ruthlessly honest with yourself.

2) It sounds to me like you need to make a living first. OK, go do it. Start a business or get a job to support yourself while you learn. Do the photo thing on the side.

3) Post your pictures here and ask people for their critique. Donメt get hurt when they tell you to change stuff. They will. Change it.

4) Do a business plan. Can you actually make a living from this? Maybe not. Be ruthlessly honest with yourself. For example, if you need to make $45K a year, then you need to probably make $100K in revenue. Utilities, debt service, rent, equipment lease, etc. all factor into this. So, if you work 5 days a week, youメll need to make about $50 every hour you are there just to break even and pay yourself. If you work out of your house, you can save some of this, but youメll still need to make at least $30 an hour, ever hour, every day, just to モmake itヤ.

5) Network.

6) Market yourself.

7) Perform

In many places, you can go to your Chamber of Commerce and theyメll hook you up with a retiree (for free) who can give you business advice. Take advantage of this. Listen to what they say.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. All of you. For taking your valuable time to read and respond. For sooo much

wise advice. It helps so much, just knowing I have found a compassionate, knowledgeable group of people who will

be encouraging and supportive! I no longer feel quite so alone. Thank you for that. I am digesting each and every

morsel, and cannot say enough how much I appreciate it! I look forward to reporting back on things as they

(hopefully) improve!

Liz, You are me, three years ago. And honestly, sometimes even still. If you research my posts you will see alot

of "help" and "poor me" posts. I had always planned on opening a studio from my home when all my children were in

school full time. Before that I did mostly team sports such as little league and soccer. My husband agreed to give it

a try for 6 months. I got my business cards, placed them on the table at the post office and waited for my phone to

ring. Well, guess what. It didnt. I live in a very small community and my direct competition is an amazing

photographer. Thats alot harder then a MWAC, because shes good. I also had the knowledge that she was very

expensive. So, since at the time it was october, I went back through all my little league and soccer files, started

addressing envelopes, printed from my own computer some flyers for Christmas Portraits and made sure my prices

were just a tad under my local competitor. I also opted to sell by the print, not the package. (This has proven to be

a big success). I went on Vista Print and took advantage of their free business cards. I used my own children to

produce studio quality samples to build a portfolio and to place on the flyers. They thought it was a little strange

sitting with christmas presents around Halloween, but it worked. I too opened an account with smug mug and did all

my proofing on line. I made sure with my first order to go Pro on the site. Best decision I ever made. My first

christmas season I had twelve sessions. I was thrilled. Not too bad for a new studio. Then january hit, then

february, on to march. Business was slow. I was afraid that my six month trial was going to end and I would have to

close up shop. I made up a bunch more flyers, painted my living room walls 4 different easter colors, dressed my

kids in the best easter clothes, and started Easter season. I had my children pass out the flyers to all the teachers

and lunch ladies at school. Put them on my church bulletin board. Sent another round to my sports teams, and

again to my christmas families. Easter was a success, and soon I started thinking in seasons. I could go on with

my history, but the bottom line is, Don't give up. If this is a dream, make sure you live it. I currently have over 160

galleries on my smug mug and have deleted just as many old ones. Business is good. I made sure it would be.

Yes, my competitor is still running as strong as ever. And yes, I still get a little twinge when I see photos on her site

that I feel are much better than mine. But Im getting over it. I started with a rebel xt and an inexpensive lighting kit.

But, It was still more than most MWAC had. Plus I learned the heck out of photo shop.

As I mentioned before about thinking in seasons, now is the time to prepare for Christmas. Start marketing

yourself. Make coupons, take christmas pictures, Get going. And when Christmas is over, start thinking

about "glamour" shots for valentines, on to Easter, then First Communion, then graduation photos, senior portraits,

and before you know it, its time for Christmas again. If your lucky, you will get weddings or events in between that.

I am as basic as you can get. My prices are in line with my local competitor, but I also give incentives for referrals.

Probably always will.

My website is www.millstreetstudio.smugmug.com Feel free to peek and to ask any questions. I know what your

going through. Ive been there. I know your frustration. I understand the feeling of "why dont they like me" . Get

confident, get practicing, learn photoshop and dont go anywhere without your camera.

Good luck Liz.

Corri Michelle

I'm sorry, but I think it is a little presumptuous of you to think that, because you have a camera and took a four day

workshop, you can make a living at photography. I don't think that shows much respect for the art or its practitioners.

Why would you think you have the necessary skills to do this? If you enjoy photography, do just that and enjoy it. I've

found that working for hire is not nearly as fun as taking what I want to take. So practice the art and enjoy, quit trying to

turn it into a grind.

It's kind of like buying a pen and paper, taking a four day creative writing workshop, and expecting to sell short stories

for a living. Does that sound reasonable?

I understand you need money. I just think there have got to be easier ways to get it than trying to learn an art and then

operate a prosperous business when you don't have any experience at either. How about tutoring? Substitute teaching?

Job sharing?

And who are all of these people laying down the big cash for people with little experience and less skill to take their

picture? I guess people with even less skill or sense. Anyway, is there really a living to be made off of these folks?

I hope I don't sound too harsh but it seemed like a little reality needed to be injected into this discussion. I've been doing

this seriously for twenty years and I seriously doubt I could make a living off of it if I tried. Doesn't matter. I love it and

have a blast doing it. And I have a day job.

Best wishes.

Great advice has been given. If I can add ONE thing...I looked at your website and noticed you don't have the pro package. You have lots of galleries but no one can go and purchase them. Was this your intention? I make lots of money from picture sells, sometimes double my sitting fee. Example, i just finished a shoot upload from last weekend, just my picture sales were over what it would cost to have a pro package. Good luck v/r Raz

Liz, you say in the thread you posted to immediately before posting to this one: "I am a brand new (read: completely ignorant) photographer. . . ."

If you really believe that, then the only thing to do is to shoot for fun (but seriously) for a few years while you make a living another way. As your skills develop (or not), then you will be in a better position to assess your future as a pro.

I do not agree with those who say that enjoying running a business is more important than loving photography. If there is no love for this kind of work, you will not stay in it long enough to get really good in it--and you need to be very, very good to be competitive. Yes, at some point it will be less fun and more work, if you are going to make a living taking, printing, marketing, and distributing pictures.

You might simply not be at the take-off point right now for launching a business. One cannot sell services if one does not have the skills. That sounds harsh, but it is simply true. There is a lot to learn. I am an amateur with many years experience, but I would not be ready right now to go pro if I had to.

I hope that you make the right decision. I am not saying to give up on your dream, but most persons really should not even think of going pro. Just because we are wowed by what our cameras can do does not mean that we are ready. Most of us really are not, and we have no idea what we would be getting into.

--Lannie

Well, If you have had enough answers to read, let me add mine. I got back into photography in my late forties. I wanted to take pictures of houses for a book. I also wanted to do glam photo's. I knew someone, let's call this person a "friend" who wanted to make some money doing a photo related web business. Well, the profits didn't just show up one day and this person lost interest in doing the "photo related web business" and lost interest in taking pictures all together, except for taking pictures of "kids". I had committed a lot of credit towards this business. And now, I'm trying to get something going on my own. One day, last summer, I saw some jerkwater photographer who was taking pictures of three "models" in full sun on hot pavement and I thought " what in the heck is this guy doing". This guy was a moron, but he was getting paid to shoot these three models.

The moral of this story is this. Know your market, know your craft, and know why you want to be a photographer. Know what your market expects. Most people (read women) don't know a good picture from a bad one, as long as thier kid is in it, or they are in it As long as there is a photographic background, a prop, and their kid smiling, then that all that matters. It is a sears/walmart portrait. and that is what they expect and that's what they are happy with. Most MWAC's (or any male moron with a big lens) think that a blurred background makes them better then a sears/walmart photo. Oh, and if it is in b&W, you have stepped up to the next level!

You need to know your craft well enough to meet the expectations of your suctomers, er, customers. Enough said.

Lastly, you need to know why you want to pick up a camera. If you want to make a little money, then go after the stupid suctomers, and develop a cookie cutter approach. If you want to make great portraits, capture something about a person's character or personality, and become great portrait photographer, then take the high road and learn the art and follow your photographic interest. Photography is a business based on style and reputation. It is "word of mouth". So, figure out what it is you want people to say about your work, your product, and go from there.