<P>

FomaPan 100<P>

Classic 200<P>

JandC in 4x5<P>

and Gigabitfilm in 4x5<P>

What I am mostly interested in is what sort of contrast they give,

how much resolving power they have, how they react to different

developers (especially PKM, Micordol, Rodinal), do they reproduce a

full tonal scale, what end of the light spectrum they are on, etc.

Basically I want the Darkroom data guide book on them, and also what

you have found they work best for.

<p>

Thanks a million,

Mark

Mark, While I have no personal experience with these films. There is some information which has been posted by users on the Michaelandpaula.com website. It is probably not as technical in nature as what you have indicated. However the general consensus that I have heard is that the films offered by J and C are very good. The users seem to be mostly sheet film users and pyro developer users as well.

Without going into any great detail, I have used FomaPan in 120 roll film and Classic 400 in 8x10. They are both old-style emulsions that do well in the staining developers I use. I probably won't use the FomaPan in roll film all that much--the Ilford and Kodak products are finer grained. However, the sheet film is well suited to the alternative process work I do, and the price is right.

I've used all of the ones you mention except for Gigabit film in formats from 6 x 6 cm to 8 x 10. The JandC Classic and Foma films are too grainy for my taste if not making contact prints, although the only developer I use is ABC pyro. You may get much more grainless images with other developers. In sheet film sizes, JandC Classic 200 is very easy to control from N-2 to N+2 using time and dilution and yields a beautiful scale. I rate it at 50. I wouldn't try to push it any more than 2 stops though. At a certain point you hit the DMax wall.

The best films sold by JandC, however, are the Efke films from Croatia. The only thing finer grained than the R50 roll film that I've seen is Technical Pan. This film is also very soft and pushable, and may be the closest thing we've got to Super XX. I have yet to try the Efke 25, but I've heard great things about it. These two films purport to be more sensitive to the red end of the spectrum than other modern films, similar to the Ilford SFX 200. The R100 and PL100 Efke films (roll and sheet, respectively - the emulsion is the same) are nothing short of astonishing. After testing a couple more rolls I think I'll be standardizing on this film in all formats. It has beautiful scale, is fine grained enough to yield acceptable enlargements from 6 x 6 negatives, and stains beautifully in ABC pyro with virtually no general stain. They're all good films but I'd try the Efke ones before the JandC.

Thanks for the info,

I have used the efke R100 quite a bit in 127 size, and have found that the only developer that gives the contrast and grain I like, is Formualry PKM Pyro. I do mostly night time black and white and for this purpose I shoot the R100 at 12 and pull it 25%. This will give the most astonishing shadow detail and the crispiest highlights I have ever come accross. I guess that this film is famous for its tonal range and boy at night it realy pays off. <P>

When I have more time and money, I will give the Foma and JandC a try using Micordol-X for the starting developer; and post the results here for you guys to review.

<P>

Thanks for the help,

Mark

Here's a scan of a print made from Efke R50 on Saturday. Note the rendering of the grass and foliage. The tall slender tree on the left is a pine. This film does seem to have a unique spectral curve very different from the 100 speed. Might yield some interesting effects at night. This shot was made with a deep yellow filter. (Wratten 15).<div>004vHQ-12306684.jpg.8385580ab6a432605720a9e6adae2cae.jpg</div>