Feedback on Canon FD Macrolite-1 (ML-1)

robbz_fotoz

<p>I was hoping to get some feedback on how well the Canon FD Macrolite-1 works for close ups for bugs and flowers. I currently use a Sunpak 411 which has the the ability to shoot from 1/2 to 1/16 power of the full flash ... I use it on a bracket off the body of the camera (Canon A-1) and it works fine. The ML-1 I am currently looking at is relatively minty, with instructions, complete, boxed. Is it worth ? Are the images illuminated normally ? I am thinking with two flashes on either side of the lens the lighting would be rather harsh. I am partial to the Sunpak, but I have been told I am Canon FD camera and accessory junkie at times. I can remember lusting after this item over 30 years ago until I discovered the Sunpak, which is an amazing item, considering how it swivels in many directions.<br>

<br /> Thanks in advance,<br /> Robb</p>

<p>If you are a real Canon junkie you might look for a grid or plain matter focusing screen for your A-1. These were listed as factory interchangeable when they were sold but handy A-1 owners have changed them on their own. The AE-1 Program has "user interchangeable" screens. Those screens are not very hard to find on eBay. The ML-1 does not give you TTL flash metering. The T-90 was Canon's first manual focus SLR to have TTL flash metering. What I have tried is using a flash on one side and a reflector on the other side. I can get TTL flash metering with some of my Nikon and Minolta cameras and possibly with a Bronica GS-1. If you do not like to light your subjects from both sides then the ML-1 will not give you much of an advantage over the Sunpak other than being more compact. </p>

<p>@Jeff: You saved me a bunch of money and angst ! The item is complete but I'd have to re-learn a new piece of hardware. I had a feeling the lighting from both sides would not be to my liking and will continue with my Sunpak set up. With regard to the AE-1 Program focus screens. I recently acquired a "D" screen and a "C" screen which should help with my macro pursuits ! I am not that daring to change any screen let alone one for the A-1. My AE-1 P body needs a CLA and I will have the tech do it at that time. Thanks again for the tech info on the ML-1.</p><div>00b6nP-507457584.JPG.6a35c62ecd1c30d9183486c700223ebd.JPG</div>

<p>Hello Robb,<br>

Check this :<br>

<a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/Shared/Macrolites/index.htm">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/Shared/Macrolites/index.htm</a><br>

I believe you should try and locate an ML-3 or ML-2 which you can use with your T90 and maintain full TTL.<br>

Best regards,<br>

Theo :)<br>

P.S Long time to talk, hope you are fine.</p>

<p>@Theo !<br>

<br />well, you're alive and well ! but enough about for that for the time being ... I did not get the ML-1 as I had said I use a Sunpak 411 for any macro work I may need a flash for. I will read your web site, thank you.<br>

PS. I have been worried about you and never heard back from you whether you received your package I shipped early September. You never wrote. Please do. Thanks.</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
<p>Mike: I'm sure I am missing some particular photo experience. The yen for the ML-1 started when I came across a rather MIB 50mm extension tube still in box. I have not been able to find an affordable 100mm macro, so have just been using my 50mm macro, sometimes with 25mm extension tube and Sunpak flash. I find it interesting the 50mm FD macro is SSC coated but the 100mm is only SC.</p>

• 4 years later...
Can the canon ml-1 be used on other brand film slrs, of same period, like nikons, pentaxs, konicas, etc, ? Also, must the control unit be attatched,to the camera hot shoe, before the pilot/test lite glows? Or, flash can be fired? I appreciate any info someone may have, on this. Especially , like, which models it may adapt to. Example: pentax k1000 or me s, nikon ftn thru n90 or f5, konicas? I don't have an older canon slr body, to test it with. Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated. TAF-O