Fed-3, because rangefinders are fun

I've had a couple of Zorkis, and years ago a Yashica electro 35 that had a truly marvelous lens. Recently I found a CLA'd Fed-3 at a good price, and it came yesterday. Controls all smooth, camera is a bit worn but very clean and attractive. One thing: 500th to 125th are fine, but I can't seem to get shutter speeds lower than 125th. I'm familiar with Leicaskis, I've read the manual and know to cock the shutter before changing the shutter speed. But I can't seem to get 1/60th or 1/30th. The camera is in such nice condition that I think the camera is OK but the operator (me) is doing something wrong. Any ideas? TIA! --ken

... Recently I found a CLA'd Fed-3 at a good price, and it came yesterday. Controls all smooth, camera is a bit worn but very clean and attractive. One thing: 500th to 125th are fine, but I can't seem to get shutter speeds lower than 125th. ... But I can't seem to get 1/60th or 1/30th. ... Any ideas?

I am by no means an expert on Fed-3 cameras - or any LTM for that matter - but I do know you should NEVER change the shutter speed on a Fed-3 unless the shutter is advanced. Doing so can damage the shutter.

• Like 1

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

... you should NEVER change the shutter speed on a Fed-3 unless the shutter is advanced.

Yes, Bill, I've got that part. This is my third Soviet rangefinder, comrade, from people's heroic Krasnoyarsk Tractor and Optical Factory! ;-) Something else seems to be going on, but since the camera seems excellent in every other way, I'm puzzled, and I tend to doubt it's the camera itself. And one thing I've learned the hard way (on an old Yashica TLR) is not to try to force anything--if a control doesn't move easily. turning it harder is not the right solution. :-)

It isn't a big deal--I'd like to have 1/60th as the slowest speed if it has to be limited, but I like the camera, so I'll be OK even if I don't resolve the shutter speed issues.

BTW, I was just looking at the W/NW photos you posted this week. That Leica lens is something--those images are sharp enough to cause retinal damage! ;-) And the colors really pop, too. Beautiful stuff!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I also have the snazzy red covers on my Fed-3 & what is labeled "red" on the Fed-2. . more like Burgundy. Several other Fed-2s are in the stable, green and black they be. For me the Fed-2s are the best since they have the "ears" for a neck strap plus the range finder base is somewhat longer. BillDSCF6649-horz.jpg.72f6c3320b58fb71eb76a884160118ee.jpg
  • Like 2

It is so funny guys, I never liked FED or Zorkiy even when I had them brand new. It wasn't even one particular camera as such, as all Soviet camera system never matched image quality of Japan made camera and lens. Unfortunately Japan's cameras were out of reach most amateurs photographers, in Soviet cameras only price was attractive.

But as they said you got what you paid for. They were better then nothing for me as photographer, but in the back of your mind you always knew that at list technical quality could be better with better optics and film.

18319183-orig.jpg

• Like 2

They were better then nothing for me as photographer, but in the back of your mind you always knew that at list technical quality could be better with better optics and film.

I hate to sound like a pictorialist ;-) but Nick, I think a photo doesn't have to be razor sharp to be beautiful, and your harbor-and-church shot above IS beautiful.

And ees for other two comrades, red is perfect color for being FED cover, show support for people's heroic revolution, da? Now keel moose and squirrel! ;-)