FE2 shutter crumpled

ggoodroe

While attempting to load my mint FE2, I noticed the film counter hadn't reset. I opened up the back...pulled the film leader off the take

up spool and advanced the film leader while not noticing that the film leader had slid between the leaves of the shutter...result,

botched shutter.

Question: can the titanium shutters still be replaced? Are parts available? Or, would it be less costly to find another?

Still sobbing in St. Pete.

George Goodroe

St Petersburg FL USA

<p>Sorry to hear about the damaged shutter.</p>

<p>Yes, you can still get the shutter replaced. There are a couple ways of doing this, you can get a brand new shutter or buy a 'dead' FE2 to 'harvest' the shutter. I think it should not set you over $80 for either option but it is always good to go get a quote from a reputable technician.</p>

<p>Whether it is worth it is pretty much dependent on how good your camera is. If you are absolutely certain that the only problem is the shutter, it is worth repairing it. There is always the element of chance on something else being damaged when getting another camera.</p>

<p>I talked to Pete and he quoted an approximate figure of $175 to replace the Titanium Shutter...I imagine that the Titanium one costs a bit more than the standard shutter...not to mention labor for the repair. I know I'll be allot more careful next time.</p>

<p>I actually consider myself quite lucky with cameras and lenses...the last repair I needed was a CLA on a Nikon Ftn 30 years ago after a rather lubrious Christmas party...and getting sick all over my camera...I tipped the technician really well.</p>