FE2 or FM2n

studor13

I want to use a few of my AI/s lenses on one of these for landscapes as well as

for portraits.

For landscapes I don't think it matters so much, (although I understand that the

FE2 is great for up to 8 seconds) but for portraits I think that the FE2 with

Aperture priority would be better.

From your experience is the FM2n that much more difficult to do grab shots?

Also, what exactly is the difference between the A and M modes on the FM2n given

that you still have to set the shutter speed manually?

There is no "A" mode on an FM2n. :-)

Having owned both, I prefer the FE2. YMMV.

The FE2 has a more intuitive meter display (I'm not a big fan of +0- diodes, although they are great in dim light), extended slow shutter speed range, and of course autoexposure capability, which does make a difference for "grab shots" when you don't have time to think or fiddle with two variables. The A mode will also shoot well below 8 seconds.

They are pretty much the same camera with the exception of the "A" mode of the FE2. You can use the FE2 as a manual exposure camera. The "A" mode of the FE2 makes it quicker for grab shots. If you are as obsessive compulsive as I am, get both. Both are fine cameras, but they cannot use non-AI lenses.

I mounted a Nikon 28mm f3.5 non-AI lens on my FE2 all the time with no issues. I shot with an FE2 and FM2n and overall preferred the FE2 for the meter display. But the FM2n is a more durable and rugged camera. Nikon hasn't manufactured the FE2 since 1987 so these are now at least 20 years old. The FM2n was discontinued in 2000. I bought a Mint FM body recently and it's a fine camera. You can find FM bodies for half the price of an FM2n. If you don't need the faster shutter speed or flash sync, take a look at the FE/FM series too. They can mount nearly any non-AI lens as well as AI, AIS, AI-P, AF, and AF-D lenses.

<i>"I mounted a Nikon 28mm f3.5 non-AI lens on my FE2 all the time with no issues."</i><P>

You just got lucky Dave. ;-)<P>

<b>Most</b> non-AI lenses will eventually damage the AI indexing tab/ring on the FE2/FM2(n). <P>

<b>Some</b> non-AI lenses (apparently your copy of the 28/3.5 is one) don't have a very deep skirt on the aperture ring, and those can be mounted without major risk. But unless you know exactly what to watch out for, mounting <b>any</b> non-AI lens on a FE2/FM2(n) is probably asking for trouble.<p>

Anyway, the above is sort of straying off topic with respect to the original question. One other advantage that the FE2 has over the FM/FM2 series is automatic TTL flash control (albeit primitive by current TTL standards). Not much of an issue for landscape photography, but it might be a nice bonus for portraits.