FE2 light meter on Auto not working

edwardnewgate

Hello!

I've just bought a FE2 in pretty neat conditions. I do have one problem.

The Aperture prioritty (Auto) just doesn't work as it should. If I softpress the shutter to activate the light meter it jumps to 3 secs and stays there no matter where I point the camera. If I set it to any other shutter speed, the light meter works as it should. But if I dial back to Auto it just stays locked wherever it was on before switching to Auto. I hope I make sense.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

One thing you can try is exercising the self timer: the lever incorporates an exposure lock feature that operates when you push the lever toward the lens. If that switch has gotten stuck or grimy, it might be continuously locking the exposure the moment you change to AUTO mode. Press the lever towards the lens, then let it snap back, repeatedly. Also go the other direction: wind the self timer and let it run a dozen cycles. This might work the exposure lock back into its normal momentary function. Long shot, but worth a try. Ditto the shutter speed dial: rotate it in and out of AUTO mode multiple times, to try and work off any oxidation on the contact + resistor ring.

Most likely your FE2 is simply defective: the resistor ring under the shutter dial probably needs cleaning or replacement, or theres a short or crack somewhere in the AUTO circuit. Given the current resale price of good used FE2 bodies, it is often more economical to replace a flaky FE2 than pay to repair it. Unlike most other electronic cameras it competed with in its day, the FE2 has proven unusually reliable and rugged: it isn't that difficult to find one in good working order, and a good one generally stays good almost indefinitely. You just had bad luck with this particular FE2. Any chance you can return it to the seller?

• Like 1

One thing you can try is exercising the self timer: the lever incorporates an exposure lock feature that operates when you push the lever toward the lens. If that switch has gotten stuck or grimy, it might be continuously locking the exposure the moment you change to AUTO mode. Press the lever towards the lens, then let it snap back, repeatedly. Also go the other direction: wind the self timer and let it run a dozen cycles. This might work the exposure lock back into its normal momentary function. Long shot, but worth a try. Ditto the shutter speed dial: rotate it in and out of AUTO mode multiple times, to try and work off any oxidation on the contact + resistor ring.

Most likely your FE2 is simply defective: the resistor ring under the shutter dial probably needs cleaning or replacement, or theres a short or crack somewhere in the AUTO circuit. Given the current resale price of good used FE2 bodies, it is often more economical to replace a flaky FE2 than pay to repair it. Unlike most other electronic cameras it competed with in its day, the FE2 has proven unusually reliable and rugged: it isn't that difficult to find one in good working order, and a good one generally stays good almost indefinitely. You just had bad luck with this particular FE2. Any chance you can return it to the seller?

Dude, you fixed it, thank you! It seems the problem was with the self timer lever locking the auto exposure. I wound it once all the way from the lens and then after it ran its course also a few times toward the lens and now the Auto mode works correctly. Thank you so much! The camera is almost in mint condition so I'm glad I don't need to return it.

• Like 1