FD VS FL lens

fred_wilson1

The "A" mode on the aperture ring will not work so the aperture will need to be set manually and you should avoid trying to mount the lens with it in "A". I'm not sure what Mark means, but then again I've never played with an FL lens. If FL lenses have manual stopdowns (probably for metering) FD lenses do not. They are either automatic stopdown only, or in some cases you might be able to lock the stopdown lever in the stopped position and use it stopped down all the time.

from the book: The Canon Manual, Paul Jones 1976

"the Canon FT and FTb are simplified versions of the Canon F-1 (first model). The main

differences are that the finder system is not interchangeable, the camera back cannot be

replaced by the long-length roll film magazine, and the motor drive cannot be attached.

The highest shutter speed is 1/1000 sec. instead of 1/2000 sec. The difference

between the Canon FT and FTb is the way the metering system works. The FT provides

stopped-down metering with FL lenses, while the FTb does this at full aperture when FD

lenses are mounted to the camera, but stopped-down metering only when FL series lenses

are attached. In both cases, of course, the diaphragm closes automatically to the

premetered f/stop. When R series lenses are used the metering is done with stopped-

down diaphragm and, after reopening the diaphragm for focusing, the diaphragm has to

be closed down again manually to the premetered f/stop.. "

in the lens section of the same book; " there are certain markings engraved on the

mounting ring of the front element of the lenses such as, FL, FD, or R, and these markings

obviously bear some significance. Though any lens with any marking can be attached to

any Canon SLR camera, the manner in which the through-the-lens metering system

operates and couples to the diaphragm is different. Lenses with an FD marking provide

full-aperture metering coupled to the automatic diaphragm when mounted to cameras

featuring the FD mount (Canon F-1 and FTb) note: book is from '76)) Lenses with an FL

marking provide stopped-down metering coupled to the automatic diaphragm when

mounted to any Canon SLR camera with a through-the-lens metering system. Lenses with

an R marking can be used on any SLR camera for stopped-down metering, but the

diaphragm has to be set manually after the metering. however, R series lenses with a

diaphragm pin under the barrel work automatically with the Canon Slr's, which do feature

a through-the -lens metering system."

Kind of lengthy, but I hope this helps, good luck!

The FT and FTb are not simplified versions of the Canon F-1. The FT was introduced in 1966. The F-1 was not available until 1971. The FT and FTb have much more incommon with each other than either one has with the F-1. The F-1 has a titanium foil horizontal shutter with a top speed of 1/2000. The FT and FTb have cloth horizontal shutters with top speeds of 1/1000. The wind mechanism of the F-1 is much sturdier than those of the FT or FTb. I like the FT and the first version of the FTb better than the FTbN but I refer my F-1 bodies to either of them.