FD mount ball bearings

NLsafari

I cannot tell for all FD lenses. But for the following list of FD lenses as of 1971 (so it's all very early FD lenses, note the missing "S.C." and "S.S.C." designations) the steel balls of both bearings in the lens mount are indentical:

• FD 17mm 1:4
  • FD 24mm 1:2.8
  • FD 28mm 1:3.5
  • FD 35mm 1:2
  • FD 35mm 1:3.5
  • FD 50mm 1:1.8
  • FD 50mm 1:1.4
  • FD 55mm 1:1.2
  • FD 100mm 1:2.8
  • FD 135mm 1:3.5
  • FD 135mm 1:2.5
  • FD 200mm 1:4
  • FD 100-200mm 1:5.6

The number of balls is different for each lens. Please note that there usually are a few balls less installed than the maximum number that would fit into the bearing.

I cannot tell if the steel balls are interchangeable with later FD and New FD lenses. But I would assume chances are good that the steel balls are interchangeable at least between lenses of the same era. If I was in the need of spare steel balls I would just try with the cheapest junker of about the same age I could get my hands on.

Are you asking about a specific lens?

Does anyone know if the ball bearings for the aperture ring are the same for all FD lenses and thus interchangeable?

Yes, for the 300FD S.S.C. Fluorite. I have posted the problem I am having with the diaphragm activating linkage of this lens. I have contacted numerous domestic camera techs including a highly respected repair center in Japan and there is reluctance in taking apart the aperture ring of this lens because of fear of losing a ball bearing and making the problem worse. They don't actually say this but I image that is what they are thinking when they remark "it was never designed to take apart" . However if it could be proved that the ball bearings are the same in FD lenses and thus interchangeable much of the fear of taking on this work would be eliminated.