FD-BL 35mm f/2.8 TS Lens

don_boyd3

I know some of you all may be interested in slides made with my (new to me) 35mm TS lens. Here's a url of a few images from my first

TS roll. Film is Fujichrome Astia 100. Please bear in mind these slides were not made based on aesthetic value but to demonstrate (I

hope) the TS features of the lens. Also hope it's of interest.

Tilt & Shift Lens

Don B in Hampton Roads

Hi Don, good to see some shots from your new TS lens. I would imagine it´s an exciting and also a challenging lens to use. It would be interesting to compare shots done with no lens movements and then the same shots at the same aperture with various movements to show the effects of T and S. Do you have any idea what apertures you used on those fence shots for example? What are your thoughts on your new lens? Many years ago I used a large format camera with TS and I remember things got pretty complicated at times! All the best with your new lens, and please post more pix and comments, Andy

Hi Andy, Complicated is the word! And it is very exciting. I have read a ton of TnS stuff on the web. The site that

makes most sense to me (and whose words I'm trying to follow) is the article in Luminous Landscape by David

Summerhayes. Mr. Summerhayes concentrates on lens available today but graciously calculated a tilt and shift table

for my 35mm lens. In hindsite I could have extrapolated a 35mm table within a few inches using values in the 45mm

and 90mm tables. His article is here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/focusing-ts.shtml I am, in fact,

planning on a series of shots like you describe. Same scene with and without TnS features. BTW the pictures of the

fence were shot at f/8 to f/11 and I kept the two I liked best. Didn't record what that was. Still having fun.

Don B in Hampton Roads

Hi Don, that Davd Summerhayes article is a good one isn´t it. How many degrees of T and S does your 35mm have? It would be great if in your tests you could include some close up shots too. I´m shooting lots of tabletop shots at the moment, typically around 0.25 magnification, and have often wondered if the 35mm TS lens (with converter to get closer) would solve some of my focussing problems. Maybe not though...perhaps the lens still couldn´t focus close enough. Good luck! Andy

Andy, The range of TnS on the FD 35mm is not simple either. The tilt range is plus/minus 10 degrees (plus/minus 0

through 3 degrees indicated by a white scale and plus minus 4 through 10 degrees by a red scale. Similarly the shift

range is plus/minus 11 degrees with plus/minus 0 through 7 degrees in white and plus/minus 8 through 11 degrees in red.

My reading of the owners manual indicates if tilt and shift are being used together only the white scales should be used.

The whole thing is further complicated as the entire lens can be rotated in 30 degree click stops on a 180 degree base.

Therefore sometimes right and left can become up and down if you need tilt in that direction. Fun Lens!

Don B in Hampton Roads

Don is correct if you use both Tilt and shift you have to stay on the white marks for both - otherwise you exceed the image circle of the lens. By the way I find this lens relatively easy to operate compared to the more versitile bellows of Large format and Fuji GX680. I have several good results even from handholding the lens - when (if) i can afford it I plan to get both the 24mm and 90mm EOS TS lenses for my 1Vs