FD 500mm f/8 lens cap source

scrivyscriv

<p>Nobody else has answered, so I'll state the obvious, although I don't have this lens.</p>

<p>(a) If you want the branded Canon lens cap specific to this lens, watch KEH and the Hated Auction Site (set up a search programmed to email you when one appears). You'll have to be patient, and I wouldn't be optimistic.</p>

<p>(b) If you just want protection for your lens, the solutions are many. You might consider one of those soft hood-hat things to fit the outer diameter. Alternatively, you could look for a generic cap (either inside fitting or slip-on) on the H.A.S. If it were a big-ticket lens, you might consider getting a cap custom-made by Grimes, but they're *expensive*.</p>

<p>That's the problem though... I don't see them running through either eB*y or KEH and I check both sites regularly for things I need. It's an off size, an 83mm that nobody seems to make outside of the run Canon put out. It's a metal screw-in cap. I'd like the name brand but more than that just want to keep my glass protected.. since a protective filter is out of the question on an 83mm element.<br>

Good idea on the soft slip-on - hadn't thought about that. I hadn't heard of Grimes before.. I've got them bookmarked. Nice products. What's the H.A.S., though?</p>

<p>Might be an idea to check out the plastic kitchen bowls and such, they often come with slip on plastic caps. Maybe other similar sources. I just checked out the plastic covers on some empty cashew nut tins, they're about 4" in diameter. Think out of the photography box!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Smokehouse Almonds come in a slightly smaller can. I know they are smaller, I used to recycle them as cat food can covers. If not the right size, check Home Depot or Lowe's. Maybe something in the plumbing section. There is also a company called Caplugs that sells caps and plugs for industrial and commercial use. If they don't have something, nobody will. HVC-3500-18 or 24 might work.</p>

<p>A word about Grimes: Make sure you know exactly what you're getting for your money. It's been more than four years, but I'm still a little burned. I sent them a 360mm pre-war Schneider TeleZenar with a beautiful aperature that probably had twenty blades in it. I needed the lens to be mounted in a new Copal 3 shutter and two lens caps made, return all unused parts.<br>

This order and work was first discussed by telephone between his staff and I, then confirmed with my formal letter included with the lens and lensboard I sent out. I received, for just under $700, a loose lens cap of the two he made and he kept my aperature. A follow up call resulted in him telling me that I got a 'discount' and he's keeping the aperature. As for the loose cap, he suggested I take a soldering iron and score the inside of the rim to give it a more snug fit on the lens barrel.<br>

I'll never send them anything of mine again. Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>I'm not particularly familiar with LF, so pardon my ignorant question, but why would he keep your iris?<br>

I did read on the lens cap page, by the way, that the company uses a soldering iron to make the friction fit points on the cap. It's strange that the company would skip that step in production and recommend you do it yourself.<br>

<a href="http://www.skgrimes.com/caps/index.htm">Check this link out for reference, at the very bottom of the page in the last paragraph.</a></p>

<p>I don't know why he would keep it, but perhaps because it was rare, collectible, etc. I'd never seen one of that design, but I'm not a collector, either. I do recall that its movement was exceptionally smooth, and it did not have stops registered with notches. One could choose just about any sort of f-stop and the large number of blades provided for a nearly perfect circular port for the light to get through. Those conditions may have proved itself valuable, but I don't know. I needed modern equipment for that application, and that's why I went with the Copal 3 vice obtaining a 'period' shutter. <br>

As for the soldering iron, yes that's what they do- the lens caps are ABS plastic turned out on a lathe. Scoring the inside rim will certainlys do the trick- unless you do it too much, then it's all about sanding down the burs, etc. The point is, one of them was perfect and the other was loose. The fare for these caps was $60 each. At the time, their website touted precision craftsmanship, along with the associated fees. This sloppiness and poor quality control (did they even check it out?) along with not honoring our verbal and written agreement to return unused parts gave me pause, to say the least. There was never any discussion whatsoever about a 'discount', and to profess this is close to lying. </p>

<p>Robert,</p>

<p>KEH has the cap listed right now, under Canon Manual Focus | Lens Accessories | Body and Lens Caps. I'd call them to make sure it was the correct one.</p>

<p>If you have to get into Caplugs and the sample doesn't work out, you might check an industrial supply house for small quantity ordering, though it might not be any cheaper through say Grainger or McMaster-Carr than in bulk.</p>

<p>I've seen similar or identical plastic plugs in plastic gas pipe and plumbing pipe, as well as thread protectors on steel pipe. You might visit a wholesale plumbing supply and find one lying around for free.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info on the KEH listing!!<br>

The thing with a lot of caps and plugs is that 83mm is an off size and the threads a fine & short.. Most plugs I've seen have coarse threads and have a very long threaded portion. I'll end up getting that cap off KEH but the slip-on cap sample I ordered free from caplugs.com is going to be interesting to play with. I'll post some pictures of the caplugs applications once I get the items in.</p>

<p>I shot Grimes an email, Stephen, asking for pricing on the lens cap and a little more info on its design; I won't say Adam was rude, but I didn't feel as if I would be a valued customer. I won't completely avoid them if I have future needs they are able to cost effectively fill, but will definitely keep your story in mind if I do business with them. Thanks for the candid opinion!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I use a plastic cap on my nFD 500f8 from a collection of lids/caps I had in a drawer in the kitchen and found one that fit after I put a tiny slit on one side and now I have a nice yellow cap. Someday I'll do what you're doing and find the real thing but what I have works like a charm.</p>