FD 500/4.5 Vs EOS 500s

I just hit the buy button at KEH for a FD 500/4.5 lens in EX+ condition and a

1.4xa extender.

Given that the glass is the same as the EF 500/4.5 lens how sharp can I

realistically expect this lens to be. I have owned 500/4.5 and IS versions.

they were very good.

Given that my eye sight is good and if I can manually focus this thing properly

will sharpness be on par with the EF lenses??

I am amped to now have a full FD lens line up and get on with making photos

again.

On a side note if I list my other FD lenses would it be OK for people to tell

me which ones to get rid of. I don't want it to be seen as an adhock way to

sell the lenses circumventing the buy and sell forum. OK if I subscribe to the

BS forum first that should solve that issue. Gee I'm smart. And a quick thinker.

Darrynn, Why would you have other people tell you which lenses to get ride of your the only one that knows what you sue or are likely to need.

If these are Canon FD lenses it's simple keep the fastest version of each focal length you want to use and you'll be pretty safe.

As to comparing the 2 lenses good luck finding anyone who has had both you might try over on the Nature for

more people with New long glass hang out over there.

The Canon FD line is pretty simple if I can use some generalizations here.

from 7.5 to 20mm you only have one choice unless you consider which of the two styles of mount as a choice. From an optical point of view they will be a dead heat.

From 24mm to 28mm the fastest lens in the focal lenght will be the best optically (with the exception of the 24mm where the f2.0 is better then the 1.4L)

35mm here the fastest is the best choice. BUT there is a note. The early 35mm f2.0 with the concave front element is VERY sharp but has Thorium glass and most examples have an amber tint that will show on color photo's. this is also a bit of an advantage in B&W with a built in filter giving higher contrast.

50 and 55mm They are all good a couple are great and 2 are almost unbelievable

all versions of the 50mm f1.8 are very good

all versions of the 50mm f1.4 are very good to great

the 50mm f1.2 and 55mm f1.2 are very good

the 50mm f1.2L and 55mm f1.2ASP are almost as good as it gets

the 50mm f3.5 Macro is stunningly sharp

85mm two choices fast and faster the two lenses are designed different one the f1.8 a portrait lens with spherical aberrations when used wide open to give that soft glow look. The other can be almost to sharp for some portraits.

100mm All are great buy the speed you need BUT the third party MACRO's from 90-105mm are better then the Canon 100mm f4.0 Macros The Tokina 90mm f2.5 and the Kiron 105mm f2.8? Are outstanding.

135mm the stand out here is the older 135mm f2.5 chrome nose it has a nice glow for portrait work. The 135mm f2.8 and 135mm f2.0 and both very sharp. Buy the speed you need.

200mm two speeds and one internal focus option the one that most people think the most of is the 200mm f2.8 IF nFD look for diamonds in the rubber band on the hood. Nothing wrong with the f4.0 lens it's sharp and a great mid range telephoto.

300mm lots of choices again follow the speed. and an L is always better then a non L

400mm to 600mm one choice at each focal lenght with two styles of mounts. The 400mm f4.5 nFD and either of the 500mm f4.5L are my choice

the 500mm f8.0 Mirror is a good sharp lens that if on a limited budget will get to you the shot although you have to put up with a single aperture and the donut highlights all mirror lenses drag along as baggage.

In Zooms there aren't manu choices the only one I don't like is the OLD 100-200mm f5.6 pretty much all others are pretty good for the money Newer versions aways being the better choice in zooms.

Outstanding zooms

20-35mm f3.5

28-85mm f4.0 nFD

35-105mm f3.5 nFD

50-135mm f3.5 nFD

80-200mm f4.0L nFD

specialty lenses that's simple if you need a tilt and shift you have one choice if you need a soft focus portrait lens again one choice.

The other guys can add their thoughts