Favourite lens to use with DF?

Ian Rance

<p>I know the DF is not a popular Nikon camera (not sure why when it seems to share quite a bit with other popular makes of such cameras) but to those who own it I was wondering what lenses are your favourites to use?</p>

<p>I personally think the DF is a unique camera and trying one the other day I am really pleased that Nikon makes it. Having the ISO able to be selected so quickly and the other features make this almost like an iconic design that works well too. The live view was especially good I felt...</p>

<p>If I had one I would put the 45P on or maybe my Tamron Adaptall 28mm f/2.5...warm colours, 3D look...</p>

<p>I have the D3s, D4 and the Df. Most of the time I using the Df for several reason. The quality of the images better then from the D3s and the D4. If I like to move around to shoot, I grab the Df. It is a small body super camera and the lens I ge on it all the time, the wonderful sharp Nikon 28-50mm f/3.5 AI-S lens as a standard lens, like the 50mm prime in general. As I said, if I like to walk around light. I had a small shoulder bag, inside other then small accessories, a 20mm f/3.5 AI, a 135mm f/2.8 or a 200mm f/4 AI-S. I'm very happy with my Nikon Df.</p>

<p>I like the 50mm/f1.8D-AF Nikkor on my Df. Super compact. No filter, no hood, sharp images. <br /> After that, I like the 28-70mm/f3.5-4.5D-AF Nikkor and the 80-200mm/f4.5-5.6D-AF Nikkor zoom combination. Versatile kit, super compact.</p>

<p>And, let's not forget the compact SB-400 speed light.</p>

To Dan Brown,

How is the IQ on that 80-200 4.5-5.6? I just ordered one from KEH for use on an upcoming backcountry travel

trip - not a DF, but a D700. I need to go small, light, and discrete. 35 mm prime, 85 mm prime, and the

80-200 f 4.5-5.6. Going to be doing candid street in Central America.

Thanks.

Gene

<p>"I know the DF is not a popular Nikon camera"</p>

<p>As I understand it, Nikon have sold more Df cameras than they expected to, I don't think they have ever been discounted in price, and you very seldom see a second hand one for sale. The DF seems to be very popular with its target market, but they are not for everyone.</p>

<p>Hi Ross. Why not to everyone? This camera shoot like any other DSLR camera, if you don't know what the difference between "aperture and departure", you still can photograph with it in full automatic mode. Like most of the people do with they 5000 dollar DSLRs. Except, you don't have to bother to go to menu to change the ISO setting or the + (-) compensation. It is absolutely no different then any DSLR camera. So, you don't haw to get a bachelor degree of photography to operate and shoot with this camera. Your advantage is easy operation, and able to use any, I say, any Nikon Nikkor lenses, back to 1950s. Never mind the brightest viewfinder of any Nikon cameras. So, where is the problem? Tell me.</p>

<p>For whatever it is worth, used value for the Df has come down, actually by quite a bit. Nikon first started shipping it in December 2013. We had a thread in May 2014 where I pointed out that used price at the time was around $2450: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00cYcL<br>

That was roughly 6 months since introduction and it was ~10% off the new price of $2750.</p>

<p>Currently KEH has one in LN- (like new, minus) condition @ $1953: http://www.keh.com/361956/nikon-df-black-digital-camera-body-16-m-p. That is roughly 29% off the new price.</p>

<p>For something still in production, that price differential between new and used is rather large, especially that is LN- from KEH. Prices for private deals should be even lower.</p>

<P>

Concerning lenses for the Df, since that camera has a rather shallow grip, you are better off using smaller and lighter lenses on it if you are hand holding.

</P>

<blockquote>

<p>I was wondering what lenses are your favourites to use? (...)<br>

If I had one I would put the 45P on (...)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I usually have the Voigtlander Ultron 40/2 mounted on it. Very good combo. Actually I bought the Df especially for that lens ;-)</p>

<p>I use my 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 older version without VR a lot with the Df. Bought it with the F5 and I was disappointed with it but on the Df it seems to work like a charm. <br>

I think it's difficult to sell used Df as if I were to buy another Df I would not buy a used one. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Nikkor 85 1.4 AIS is on most of the time. In the last few weeks I I saw a Df with a shutter count of 133000 sell at $1500.00. Some private sales in the $1700-$1800 dollar range. There was speculation that another version of the Df may happen with a newer sensor, but wonder what else they might change. It is a very nice camera and very comfortable to use.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Currently KEH has one in LN- (like new, minus) condition @ $1953: <a href="http://www.keh.com/361956/nikon-df-black-digital-camera-body-16-m-p" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.keh.com/361956/nikon-df-black-digital-camera-body-16-m-p</a>. That is roughly 29% off the new price.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Two weeks since I posted that link to KEH, I just clicked on it again. They now have two different used Df available. The one in LN- condition is still $1953. There is now also an EX+ one at $1899.</p>

<p>I think the Df is an one off niche product. Nikon can't go back to the well too many times or they'll risk losing a lot of money with a version 2. Normally digital cameras are about the latest technology, but the Df is about nostalgia.</p>