Favourite film for high, but soft grain when pushed

Dave Luttmann

PICT0115.thumb.JPG.62b11a3bf4355f648026912b4cd45a5d.JPG

This is unexpired TMax3200 (TMZ) in TMax developer with the push to EI 25000 time.

I suspect I don't believe it is even close to 25000, but it is lit by a full moon, and exposed

for 1s at f/3.5 as I didn't bring a cable release to hold the shutter open longer.

You can see some stars in the sky.

• Like 1

-- glen

The developer used is going to play a big part in 'softening' grain. I'd suggest a solvent developer like full-strength D76 with Delta 3200. Or you can add a strong solvent like Sodium Thiocyanate at a rate of 1gm/litre working strength, to almost any developer you choose. You might need some extra restrainer, for example Benzotriazole, in there as well.

Alternatively, you can 'cheat' and use a grain screen in printing. Altering the separation between screen and negative will regulate how soft the grain prints. All that's needed for the screen is a lightly and evenly exposed grainy negative.

• Like 1

Sounds like a job for a developer that has a greater than average solvent action such as Microdol-X (or today's equivalent).

I think, though, if I wanted that effect I'd use a grainy film and use my regular developer and soften the grain during post processing. If going pure analog you could make a print with the enlarger very slightly out of focus.

• 2 weeks later...