Favorite UV Filter for Nikon F1.8/35mm DX Lens

peverall_dubois

<p>Do you need a protective filter? For example, you might if you photograph boxing or martial arts from ringside. Or puppies and babies up close, both of which tend to mash their noses against lenses.</p>

<p>But you don't need a UV filter with most digital cameras or most color negative film. It's occasionally useful with color slide film in specific situations. Most contemporary lenses are already multi-coated to minimize problems with excessive UV. Color corrections in digital editing, or by minilabs during printing from color negatives, can easily correct any minor problems that may occasionally appear.</p>

<p>If you don't need the filter to protect the lens from damage due to routine exposure to risky situations, you might skip it. Even the best filters can risk some additional flare. I use them occasionally to protect my lenses in specific situations, but always take extra precautions to minimize flare. When I don't need filters I remove 'em.</p>

<p>Hoya makes good price/performance stuff. I prefer lens hood over any filters but if you feel you need a filter go ahead, it's not very expensive in 52mm size.<br>

Hood protects the lens quite well and cuts stray light.<br>

Filter protects the lens but can add flare in contra light, this includes bar/nightclub and outdoor night scenes, not just sunlight, a point people miss sometimes.</p>

<p>Modern DSLR cameras have a UV filter built in over the sensor. You don't need a UV filter. I sometimes use a polarizer, but only high quality multi-coated ones. I virtually never use a UV filter. For me, they're asking for problems. I'm with Hans on this one. To protect my lens I do use the very tough plastic lens cap though. That's what Nikon designed it for. Same for lens hoods. Glass is flimsy and breaks.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

None. I have spent a lot of money on high quality UV filters for my first ten or so lenses, but since then I have stopped. You don't need them. Well, in some situations, for example near a waterfall, I suppose they give peace of mind, but in all other cases they are unnecessary. I have never damaged a lens. If I had, it would not have cost as much to replace the lens as I have initially spent on UV filters. It's just that the shops like to sell them, because they have high margins. That's the reason why every shop will recommend a filter for each new lens.

<p>Wow. I've never seen one of these filter questions get a unanimous response. Well, I won't break the streak. Always use your included hood and don't use a filter unless you have a special reason to do so. I do know from personal experience that cheap filters will cause ghosts in not so exceptional circumstances.</p>

<p>I buy top of the line B+W or Nikon multi-coated UV filters for all my lenses. I've done this since the '70s and the front elements of all my lenses are in perfect condition. The filters have gotten covered in salt spray, been cracked by collisions in crowds and generally taken abuse. When I budget a lens, I budget the filter. Have fun with your 35/1.8, a terrific lens. (I only take the filters off if I need to attach another or if I'm shooting directly into light and the filter causes flare (rare)).</p>

<p>The first time you inadvertently touch the front lens element with you finger, you'll be very happy you can take it off and wash it. I'd hate to have the acid in my skin etch my lens.</p>

<p>I have changed my practice completely. For many years, I did not use UV filters at all - now I have them on every lens I own (OK, not on the fisheye). Why? I agree with all the statements made above - on digital they are not needed, they don't afford mechanical protection, they can introduce/enhance flare - all good reasons not to use a filter - but to me a filter is a heck of a lot easier to clean than the front element of a lens. I use high-quality HOYA filters as well as Nikon ones - and there might still be a B+W floating around (I replaced one on my 12-24 with a Hoya and the reduction in flare was significant). Whenever I am in critical lighting situations, I try to remember to remove the filter...</p>

<p>Peverall, without getting roped into yet another filter v. filterless debate, the Nikon 52mm NC filter is an excellent, clear, multicoated filter:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/121292-REG/Nikon_2479_52mm_Clear_NC_Glass.html#accessories">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/121292-REG/Nikon_2479_52mm_Clear_NC_Glass.html#accessories</a></p>

<p>If you want to use more money then B+W MRC KR1,5 or UV if less money then Hoya HMC skylight or UV. Both are high quality, the B+W just a little bit better.<br>

Sometimes I use filters, sometimes I don't, typically so that I don't use them when I have a good reason not to do so (which is usually the risk of ghosting due to stray light).</p>

<p>Well - there are two schools of thought on this one -<br>

one - use none - read Dieter's comments again<br>

two - for "protection". I don't use a UV filter on lenses - I use a Nikon NC (No Color) filter. I do have a few lenses I don't use them on & I have to tell you that when my new 10-24mm got dunked by a wave this summer at the beach I really wished I had a NC filter on it. I don't unfortunately. It was so much fun to get the salt water & sand off the lens. :-(<br>

Now my feeling is this. It really comes down to your environment. I live in the Los Angeles region. But where I live it's high dust/sand/wind environment. I really feel it's a lot cheaper to have a filter I can remove when I need to or want to, than to have to remove all that sand & dirt off the front element of my lenses.<br>

I can't escape the winds & sand/dirt flying around. It can easily cause issues in the high winds I deal with. I prefer my Nikon NC filters. I have yet to have one of them produce a lens flare or any other problem. As a matter of fact - the few times I've had lens flare it's been from lenses without filters. I'm sure it was just the conditions..... But I have yet to have one of my filters cause me any problems.<br>

Also - about 1 1/2 years ago I had an incident with my brand new 24-70mm lens. Had I not had a NC filter on that lens - my front threads would be destroyed. Instead - the thread of the NC filter were. So - sometimes those NC filters can save a lens. :-) Other times potentially damage.<br>

Follow your heart on this matter. What works for you is what you have to do.</p>

<p>I hear a concensus forming Peverall.</p>

<p>There is one reason and one reason only to use a UV filter.<br>

At high altitudes where UV (is) a problem creating blue color casts that are not easily removed via PS or anything else.<br>

Those who like to claim all the protection a UV filter affords need to re-evaluate the logic in such a statement.<br>

Need more evidence against?<br>

I go to many pro sports events..I've never seen a paid shooter with a filter over their lens.<br>

The arguement over yes or no seems obvious to me..why would I place a 50 dollar piece of glass over a 2 thousand dollar piece of glass? Yikes!</p>

<p><strong>"I go to many pro sports events..I've never seen a paid shooter with a filter over their lens."</strong></p>

<p>Which could also be explained by the fact photographers from major newspapers and magazines don't generally buy their own equipment. If an expensive lens gets scratched, they're not out-of-pocket.</p>

<p>If one of my lenses gets a front-element scratch or gets some chemical spooge on it that eats through the coating, I'm paying for a new lens or an ungodly expensive front-element replacement. In the case of my favorite lens, my 28mm f/1.4 AF-D Nikkor, I'd be unable to find a replacement in good condition without paying waaaaaaaaaaay more than the original purchase price. And over the years, I've had to replace several filters in accidents where I would have at least wound up replacing the front element of a lens- e.g. scalding hot candle wax from a nighttime wedding on the filter protecting a 60mm f/2.8 AF-D Micro-Nikkor.</p>

<p><strong>"(W)hy would I place a 50 dollar piece of glass over a 2 thousand dollar piece of glass?"</strong></p>

<p>This is a straw man argument. My thousand-dollar plus Nikon lenses are covered by Nikon L37c filters that have coatings that match up nicely with Nikon's lens coatings.</p>

<p>I've A-B'd Nikon lenses with and without Nikon coated filters for more than 25 years. I've never had an instance where image quality was degraded by filter use. As an example, see this post by Shun where he A-B'd shots putting three Nikon coated filters on a lens:</p>

<p><a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00UNFa">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00UNFa</a></p>

<p>If you don't want to use a protection filter, that's fine, God bless. But don't be absurd and pretend that anyone who does use a protection filter is destroying the image quality of their lenses.</p>

<p>I always use a filter and shade. They have saved my lenses many, many times. The front elements of my lenses have literally never been touched. If I have some really critically sharp image work to do with a tripod, I will take off the filter for the shot, then put it right back on. If you can find a Nikon filter, they are great. Otherwise I buy a good quality, multi-coated Hoya, B&W, Canon, or other high end filter. And I try to buy a clear filter, not UV or Skylight, because I don't want it to mess with the color accuracy.</p>

<p>On the subject of clear filters v. UV filters, I've read that digital sensors are less susceptible to UV exposure than is film. That said, I've looked at Nikon L37c UV filters alongside Nikon NC filters in all sorts of light and have been unable to see any color difference between them. Zeroing out processing correction for the two types of filters as best I can, I also can't see any difference between the two when shooting a digital camera.</p>

<p>I currently use L37c UV filters on my Nikon lenses, as I have a little stockpile of them. However, when they get scratched or spooged-up, I'll replace them with Nikon's NC filters.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>who does use a protection filter is destroying the image quality of their lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Eric,</p>

<p>Of course you are (for) using them, because you use them!<br>

I can't see anywhere in my post where I used the word "destroy." You're sounding like the people who attempted to put words into Rush Limbaughs mouth for the intent to destroy him.</p>

<p>I do agree however, if you wanna' use 'em, God Bless.<br>

The A-B arguement holds no water in risk vs reward. Sure, in a perfect world where the light is striking parallel to the lens, great, probably no discernable diff...but when I get a shot with the sun blowing in from some oblique angle, there is no way I'll risk a flare possibility with a simple physics principle known as (air/glass/air/glass refraction.<br>

You've used them for 25 years, I've been w/o them for 30+ and have never had a situatiuon where a filter would have guarded against physical damage.</p>

<p>Believe my, the SI guys I know who shoot sports are VERY concerned about their lenses...SI certainly does not want nor need to spend 6 to 8,000 for a lens that is treated in a risky way; it's risky enough on the sidelines with a 250 lb player barreling at you in full gallop.<br>

The shooters don't use them for the reasons I mention and has nothing to do with their deep pockets.</p>

<p>I use a B+W KR 1.5 on this lens as my everyday filter. I set Cloudy white balance for all of my outdoor shots on my D 300. Since I shoot RAW, I can always change white balance if needed which I do about 5% of the time. That filter with its slight warm tone and Cloudy white balance gives me the look I like. I like the extra protection the filter privides to the lens glass. And I always have a lens hood on the lens. But that is me. Others do not like this and that is fine with me. I have tried other brands inluding Nikon and they do not compare in quality or longevity to B+W.<br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p>If I were to buy a quality coated UV filter for each of my lenses, the cost would be equal to having two damaged elements repaired. After 20+ years of outdoor and occasional commercial photography in some very extreme conditions, I have yet to have any lens damaged in a way that a filter could possibly have prevented. The last lens I had damaged had a rock go through both the B+W polarizaer filter and then into the lens. Result was I not only had a lens repair but also lost a $120 filter, compounding my loss. I use the lens caps for protection. My lenses are perfect despite frequent out and out abuse. UV filters just don't do anything.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I think that Hoya currently have the best one out thier with thier HD filters.<br /> <br /> They produce almost absolutely no reflection and you can barely see the glass in the filter. It is about the closest thing you get to a glassless filter.</p>

<p>That said...before you spring for a protection filter you should read this<br /> <br /> http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches<br /> <br /> <br /> The reason I use a protection filter is that sometimes it is just easier to clean than the front lens element. I sometimes shoot in situation where I am getting sprayed with mud/water and its just much quicker to give a squirt of cleaning fluid to the filter and quickly wipe it off with a microfiber cloth.</p>